VOGONS

First post, by pachuco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
I've recently bought an Esolo1 PCI soundcard and have successfully got adplug to play OPL trough it using PortTalk. Hardware address was 0x9400.
Now I'm trying to get DosBox Daum's OPL passtrough to work with it but had no success so far.
This is part of config:
[sblaster]
oplmode=hardware
hardwarebase=9400

I suspected hardwarebase would be limited to values 210, 220, 230, 240, 250, 260 and 280 so I checked hardopl.cpp from DB-Daum and found that the check was commented out.
Still, I can't get passtrough to work.
Any suggestions?

OS is winXP SP3 x86.
CPU: Intel P4 630

Edit:
Right, I've set output to port 0x61(PC speaker) just for shits and giggles. inpout32.dll did its job fine and the results were unsurprisingly disastrous(noisy speaker, PC lockup; serves me right). My conclusion is that inpout32 somehow doesn't like high ranges.

Wat do?

Edit2:
Right, I've traced the problem to adplug+PortTalk combo. Basically, after using adplug, nothing else could use the FM synth. No adplug, no problem.
The remaining problem now is that apps with forced opl output work fine in DosBox. Apps that try to detect the chip don't, which leads me to believe there is some legacy mode that needs to be enabled.

Edit3:
After some tinkering around with the OPL passtrough in whatever programs I can get to work(AdlibTracker2, Rdosplay), I notice there is significant slowdown with passtrough instead of OPL3 emu. As example, this can be noticed with fm63b_rv.a2m and either AdlibTracker or the stand-alone replayer.
Dosbox may slow down to the point where it doesn't answer to keyboard controls. Stuff that would otherwise run at near-full speed with opl3 emulation.