VOGONS

First post, by sfsdfd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First - let me thank you for the excellent work your team has done so far. I consider the development of a 100% Intel emulator among the most important emulation projects. I'd like to help out however I can - even by coding, if I can contribute (I'm a part-time software developer.)

I'd like to ask about the differences between DOSBox, Bochs, and others. On your link page, you reference Bochs and note that it's designed to be a full x86 emulator, whereas DOSBox "tries to mainly emulate dos programs." Though the wording is ambiguous, I take it that running Windows 3.1 could be done under DOSBox (since it's just a DOS app at heart), but running Windows 95 or anything later would require Bochs due to its goal of emulating hardware, not the DOS application environment. Is this correct?

I note with interest the release of Bochs 2.0something - I tried the previous Bochs release a week or two ago and was sorely underwhelmed. Maybe this will be better.

(You also have a link to DodGE on that page, but DodGE has been cancelled early in its development - just visit the page for news. You may wish to remove the link.)

Sincerely,

David Stein, Esq.

Reply 1 of 1, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's a bit of a misnomer to say that, really... theorhetically, DOSBox could eventually emulate anything up to Windows ME. That is not, however, the objective of it. Anything above Windows 3.11 isn't really necessary to be emulated since there are other projects that do it and would be able to do it better.

Yes, it’s my fault.