VOGONS

First post, by potds

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is it possible for someone to recompile DosBoX and change two vairable/setting for me? (I'm using the windows version)
1) change the default ram drive from Z to Y
2) network delay time from say 25 to about 3seconds (not sure if it's a DosBox thing or the DOS app I'm using). is there even a variable in dosbox for that?

I'm trying to bring a 15 year old decommission BBS back to life and I run into two problems from me bringing it back up to work with modern day internet Telnet connectivity.

BTW: the app I'm trying to get is a HEAVILY customized/configured BBS running PCBOard v15 with 4 nodes.
based on 718 areacode (brooklyn, NY)

I spent many a time as a geek/nerd in the early 1990s running that bulletin board 😜 and it would bring a tear to my eyes to see it up again and show the young ones how we "get online" back in the days

Attachments

• Snap2.jpg
    Filename
    Snap2.jpg
    File size
    38.83 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 6, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

You can use an SVN build to change the Z: drive to something else. To change it to the Y: drive you would use the command: mount -z y

Not sure what you mean by network delay... perhaps you're referring to cycles, which is how fast the emulated CPU is. Try typing the command "cycles max" before running the DOS software in question; and if that's still not enough speed, use the command "core dynamic" in addition to "cycles max".

Reply 2 of 6, by potds

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks for the help but I HAVE NO IDEA how to complie or use the builds. i was hoping it is something quick and simple that someone (who already have a dev envorment and tools setup) can do for me in a few minutes.

I found out where the "network delay. .. " is comming from it is a prompt from the BBS software. but I don't know what is causing it or how to cut the delay time from 20seconds to 1 second. (it is a PITA and maddening to have someone wait about 20 seconds every few screens when the system probes for files or show a screen or runs a command)
the suspect is there is no dos network environment setup.

Reply 3 of 6, by potds

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

btw: I'm going to put the BBS online for everyone (will post here first) to use and might just packages it as a standalone app 😜.

DosBox is pretty cool as the origninal system was on two different computers now it is a single 75meg zipped file 😜

ahh how technology have advance

Reply 4 of 6, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
potds wrote:

thanks for the help but I HAVE NO IDEA how to complie or use the builds. i was hoping it is something quick and simple that someone (who already have a dev envorment and tools setup) can do for me in a few minutes.

The link I posted is a Windows binary of DOSBox SVN, no compiling necessary. Use the mount command I mentioned with that build and you're done.

Reply 6 of 6, by potds

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok folks. through the marriage of VMware emulation, Dosbox, and EXE Patching.
I got my BBS up and running again. and litterly EVERYTHING runs perfect like it use.

check it out, telnet to: geniv.dyndns.org
use the account:
name: visitor
password: welcome

or u can just sign up. full access right away