VOGONS

First post, by CJGIDMAN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I'm attempting to run an exe that was compiled under an old DOS FoxPro compiler. (I can get version number, I think, if necessary.) The app does intensive reading and writing in the local directory. The code runs fine on native Windows XP and even Windows 7 32-bit systems. I'm running Win8.1 64-bit.

Here's what happens in two different cases:
First Case: Single User
Every other time I launch the application, it bombs out claiming a "Write error". So, inside DOSBox, a session might go like this:
Launch the app - Works great!
Exit
Launch the app - Bombs with write error.
Launch the app - Works great!
Exit
Launch the app - Bombs with write error.
etc...
Second Case: MultiUser
Launch the app - Bombs with write error every time.

I've read the README troubleshooting and nothing seems to match. I can't find anything in the wiki about file locks, but my hunch is it has something to do with that. I realize this is not a game, but I was hoping that you gamers have seen something like this and can tell me what configuration to change. (Or, if there is something else I'm doing wrong.)

Also, if this is the wrong forum, please forgive me. I'm not a lifer DOS guy. This is for a work project. I can repost in the right forum if you tell me which one.

Regards.

Reply 1 of 2, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

The advice is to use a proper VM, since Dosbox is meant for games and took some shortcuts using Dosbox for mission critical stuff should be avoided.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper