VOGONS

Really important feature suggestion to devs.

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by videogamer555

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have noticed that while there is a sort of hack that lets you use a PS2 mouse (the type of mouse emulated by DOSbox) in Windows 1.0x release versions (replace its mouse driver MOUSE.DRV with the file of the same name from windows 2.xx), there is no equivalent for this hack in Windows 1.0 Beta version. It uses a driver called MOUSE.EXE, and it does not work to simply rename MOUSE.DRV to MOUSE.EXE (even though they both appear to be executable files, and the first two bytes are the characters MZ in both files). I tried it, and the Windows 1.0Beta installer locks up.

And guess what type of mouse is the default for ancient versions of Windows. It's the serial mouse. The serial mouse is a type of mouse that DOSbox does not emulate (at least not in its normal form, though a mod of DOSbox does). However I don't want to have to keep switching between versions of DOSbox depending on what type of software I want to run. Therefore, I am requesting that in the developers create in the official version of DOSbox, an option that will be accessable in DOSbox.conf, that will allow me to set which form of mouse is being emulated (better yet include a DOSbox command for it, just as "ver set" lets me set the version number of DOS while running DOSbox). The reason for the option of emulating a serial mouse is very clear. There is currently no way to use a mouse in Beta Windows 1.00 (or an unhacked version of standard Windows 1.01) in DOSbox. I'm guessing that there may be other very early pieces of DOS software out there that also won't work with anything other than a serial mouse.

DOSbox developers, for the sake of increasing compatibility with the oldest of DOS software, please include an option for emulation of a serial mouse when you release your next version of DOSbox (0.75).

Reply 1 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

DOSBox not Windows box and also it's for games not for dos programs. I think you might have to live with the extreme inconvenience of using the modded Dosbox for your important Windows 1.0 work 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 10, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Serial mouse support would also benefit early games like Tass Times in Tonetown (and probably others).

For now, you can always plug a real serial mouse into your real serial port and configure DOSBox to use it. 😉 Or just use PCEm... which is better suited for all these beta operating system shenanigans.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 3 of 10, by truth_deleted

User metadata

DOSBox also has other patches to activate a serial mouse. See Hal's MB6 or dosbox-x by Codeholio. Ykhwong's build may also have the serial mouse. A google search will show this, so a feature request already met by a decade old patch is not necessary.

This is the 3rd request today from the "beta Windows" crowd. 🙁

Edit: actually the 4th request. 😀

Reply 5 of 10, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The problem isn't DOSBox - the problem is that beta software sucks. You don't fix emulators to make betas work. Betas are broken by nature and they are not 'better'. It is not 'important' to support unreleased and unfinished versions of software.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 10, by videogamer555

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Windows 1.0 Beta does not even come close to working on any other emulator. DOSbox may be "only for games" but it also may be my only hope to run Win 1.0 Beta. The only alternative is to try to buy real hardware to run it on (find a computer old enough to actually run it properly, on Ebay). And as for how this has to do with games? Well there were some games that require Windows 1.0.

More importantly, SERIAL MOUSE SUPPORT is absolutely necesary for some of the oldest DOS games (not even talking about Win 1.0 now). I should NOT have to use a modded version of DOSBOX to run games that require it. If DOSBOX if for games, then developers START DEVELOPING more on it. Let it be part of the OFFICIAL release version of DOSBOX to have Serial Mouse support. It's been sitting at version 0.74 for the last SEVERAL YEARS! What have the devs been doing all this time? Playing CoD or something? You are developers, so it's time to start developing again. Having serial mouse implementation is for a DOS emulator, as SIGNIFICANT of a feature as PS2 mouse emulation, Joystick emulation, and Keyboard emulation. Yes there ARE SOME VERY OLD GAMES for DOS that ABSOLUTELY REQUIRE a serial mouse.

Reply 7 of 10, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
videogamer555 wrote:

What have the devs been doing all this time? Playing CoD or something? You are developers, so it's time to start developing again.

DOSBox is a HOBBY PROJECT. You DON'T get to TELL PEOPLE HOW TO DO THEIR HOBBIES for YOU.

If this is so REALLY IMPORTANT to use SHOUTING ALTERNATIVE CASING for, why didn't you WRITE and SUBMIT A PATCH?

It's been MONTHS since your LAST REPLY, YOU could have USED THE TIME to DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT instead of COMPLAINING about your QUESTIONABLY OBTAINED BETA SOFTWARE not working.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 10, by videogamer555

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's majorly important that a DOS emulator have a SERIAL MOUSE function on its main dev branch. This should NOT be something that is only in a mod. There are many old games that that are so old, from the earliest days of DOS, that if they use a mouse at all it is ONLY a serial mouse. DosBox is supposed to emulate DOS games. If there are some DOS games that won't run on it in its current state, then its current state has failed the stated objective of the software, which is running DOS games.

As for the Win 1.0 beta being "questionably obtained", I got it from a site called BetaArchive. I think they are a legit website that collects antique beta software.