VOGONS

First post, by Onetooth2010

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dear Developers,

I've used Dosbox for several years now. I love it. What I don't love too much though is the hassle to go through when I reinstall Dosbox after a couple of years or so te re-enjoy a classic dos title 😀. Every time I have to go through the manual to look up some details on mounting a drive, optimize screen resolutions and get the balance between memory and clock speed just right.

Now, a couple years back, I also had a Macbook. On it, I installed Boxer (have a look at www.boxerapp.com). It was simply the most beautiful Dosbox (-esque?) GUI I ever saw. It's not technical, but instead lets you drag and drop the contents of old cd's onto an Itunes-like cupboard. Boxshots are automatically looked up, and a configuration set. Each game-specific configuration may be altered as the user sees fit. Using Boxer to digitize my Dos game collection was both a breeze and a joy.

After working with it some time, I sold my Macbook. Guess I wasn't too much of a fanboy 😀. So now I find myself without Boxer and without a decent Windows variant of it. So here's my question to you guys: is it possible / viable / in your power to create a new version of Dosbox that comes with a Boxer like GUI with all fancy functionality by default? I'd be much obliged 😀!

Reply 1 of 8, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not a (dosbox) developer, but anyway 😀
You are aware that there are numerous, way more than for apple's platform, gui frontends for dosbox, right? Have you tried some of them? I'm sure one will suit your needs, there are literally dozens of them. Or perhaps someone who has used boxed can recommend right away one that resembles it...

Reply 2 of 8, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Doesn't seem like it would be too hard to implement, but from what I can determine about Boxer, it would require creating a fair database of information and patches, etc. for a huge number of games. While not technically difficult, it would take a lot of work and research to do. You would also have to have all of those games for testing.

I might consider doing a menu application similar to Boxer that my installers could populate, but it would be limited to just the games that I have written installers. Of course I am integrating support to add the games to the Games Explorer via my installers. Functionally this would not be that much different than games that have been added to the Boxer app.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 8, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Onetooth2010 wrote:

After working with it some time, I sold my Macbook. Guess I wasn't too much of a fanboy 😀

You don't need to be a fanboy to use a Mac. At least, I don't feel like. It's just a workplace.

As for OS X DOSBox frontends recommended above, most of them are out of date, created for pre-0.70 versions.

Klimawandel.

Reply 4 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

The OP looks for Windows frontends I think 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 8, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I love the look of Boxer and GOG.com's game shelves too but I'm mainly a Windows user. I've been looking for a front-end with similar look and feel to use with video games and my eBook collections but I guess it can't be compiled on Windows because it feels like (just speculating) graphics libraries used by the Boxer are Mac-specific

Reply 6 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The thing with Boxer is that it's just a frontend\offshoot of DOSBox so the hard work was already done.

The DOSBox devs are interested in making DOS games work which is the most important part.

Is Boxer so superior to DBGL and DFend that you can't use those?

Also:

"Boxer takes your CDs, floppies and bootleg game copies and wraps them into app-style gameboxes you just click to play. They’re self-contained so you can back them up or share them with friends. No mess, no fuss."

Even if/when DOSBox has a included GUI similar to the above you won't be seeing it promoting sharing them with your "friends" or any functionality that would potentially contribute to that....

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 8, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As I said before the concept is simple, but to make it work with legitimate copies would take developing a very large database of games, versions, patches and box shots. Here is a proof of concept with a number of shortcuts taken for brevity. All of these would have to be replaced. It does not have drag and drop to add games enabled. It has a few demo games hardwired into it. The box shots would need to be refined to give a more 3D look/drop shadow, etc. The background image is just from the GOG game shelf and would need to be replaced if this were a real project. Again it is just to show how simple the concept is.

http://sierrahelp.com/DL/DOSBoxGUI.7z.php

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers