VOGONS

First post, by truth_deleted

User metadata

The V1 emulation in hardware mode fails glide sdk test# 11, indicating an issue with the framebuffer, possible in the writes. However, a portion of the framebuffer did not fail the test. This issue produced severe artifacts in direct3d6 games and higher, but was apparent in direct3d5 games and even in DOS glide. The attached patch is a workaround to this issue. This is not fully tested yet, but Jedi Knight (d3d mode) has no artifacts with this patch and also the on-screen text is clear to read, unlike without the patch.

This patch is for testing and is specific to V1 hardware emulation at 640x480, although it shouldn't affect dosbox outside of the V1 emulation. I posted here as soon as I had a successful result.

Attachments

• Filename
    v1_d3d_workaround.diff
    File size
    3.11 KiB
    Downloads
    133 downloads
    File comment
    V1 hardware emulation patch for d3d games
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 5, by truth_deleted

User metadata

Verified other direct3d games rendered without artifacts. Also, half-life in opengl mode ran at playable speeds without any artifacts nor instability. Same for UT99 in glide mode. With the improved framebuffer, glide mode seemed to run faster than previously, so the attached image is at medium graphical settings along with dynamic lighting. Not shown, but rogue spear had no artifacts either under d3d mode, but ran slow as expected because of its steeper cpu requirements.

Attachments

• hl1b.PNG
    Filename
    hl1b.PNG
    File size
    555.19 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    hl under opengl mode (2)
    File license
  • hl1a.PNG
    Filename
    hl1a.PNG
    File size
    452.62 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    hl under opengl mode (1)
    File license
  • ut99.PNG
    Filename
    ut99.PNG
    File size
    371.26 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    ut99/glide
    File license

Reply 3 of 5, by truth_deleted

User metadata

Thanks for the information. I did previously try, perhaps a few times, its d3d mode prior to opengl. 😀 I think the glide sdk tests are sufficient for my case. Also, I had wondered about the video memory requirements of the software renderer versus the direct3d renderer in similar d3d6 games.

Reply 4 of 5, by truth_deleted

User metadata

Attached an updated patch (which requires testing). This version does not have a fixed display resolution in a window while in V1 hardware emulation mode. The other resolutions are now available which may be displayed full screen.

Attachments

• Filename
    v1_d3d_workaround-2.diff
    File size
    3.8 KiB
    Downloads
    111 downloads
    File comment
    V1 hardware emulation patch for d3d games (version 2)
    File license

Reply 5 of 5, by truth_deleted

User metadata

This updated patch includes improvements to the V1 emulation (courtesy of the mame project).

Attachments

• Filename
    v1_d3d_workaround-3.diff
    File size
    6.5 KiB
    Downloads
    113 downloads
    File comment
    V1 hardware emulation patch for d3d games (version 3)
    File license