VOGONS

First post, by rysik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello. I have found out that some old dos games are sold on Origin platform with dosbox executable incorporated inside package.
Every info, what can be read in file details tab in windows explorer point that it is dosbox app created by dosbox team (author, name, version etc.).
But this Origin dosbox alternative needs a Origin valid password to launch the game. Is it really app that dosbox team have made, or is it something made by Origin themself? Is it legal?

Reply 2 of 6, by rysik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, it demands that user is logged on own account. If not, origin login box will show and the game won't start if user will cancel login process.
Modified dosbox won't ask for password if user is logged in. I can't just check what will happen if other user is logged in (not the one who bought the game), I have got only one account.
After dosbox executable has been replaced to original one, the game starts without any logged user. But they probably will patch it in the future.

Reply 5 of 6, by Joey_sw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
collector wrote:

Shouldn't it also include the source?

the origin dosbox for SimCity 2000 are based on DosBox 0.73,
they include the source code in file dosbox-0.73.tar.gz.
but I do not know if that source code are the moddifed dosbox or vannila dosbox .73 code.

I could upload the .tar.gz file if that permissable.

UPDATE:
i just downloaded the .73 code from http://sourceforge.net/projects/dosbox/files/ … tar.gz/download
and that file exactly the same (binary match according to FC.exe /B) as the one that Origin SimCity 2000 provided,
despite the fact that excuteable of Origin DosBox are indeed modified.
So the changes made are not reflected on accompanied source code.

-fffuuu

Reply 6 of 6, by rysik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for info and confirmation. I think that up until today all old dos games accessed by origin can be played without login requirements after replaced dosbox binaries but they probably will patch it in future - for example not compatible dosbox port.