VOGONS

Reply 20 of 23, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Doesn't look exactly staggering, damn designers compressed everything in a 640x200 block in the top left, looks kinda crap 😀

Attachments

• snap0003.png
    Filename
    snap0003.png
    File size
    4.9 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    World tour golf
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 21 of 23, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Harekiet wrote:

Hmm no not yet comitted, lot's more testing to be done 😀 And checked world tour golf, that seems to think it's it's running on a color system instead of monochromo, must be some bios flag somewhere i think

AFAIK, the graphics mode of the Hercules card wasn't supported by the int 10h BIOS and it didn't have a BIOS of its own. Applications were to check for the presence of Hercules directly by probing the hardware. I may be wrong of course, but I haven't got my nice "Programming the Hercules card" book here.

JAL

Reply 22 of 23, by taiken7

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

From memory the hercules displayed the screen stretched out (so it looks
the same as the cga mode). Perhaps there is something else missing in the
crtc6845. (Thanks for all the work so far though!)

Reply 23 of 23, by kFYatek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried to run Win 3.1 in Hercules emulation mode... there are many problems during the install (Win 3.11 installs and runs smoothly, but I have only the WfW 3.11 without Hercules driver), but I think it is not related to the Hercules emulation...

Anyway - when it runs finally, it runs quite OK in the standard (286) mode, then the graphics are OK. But when I try to start it in 386 Enhanced mode, the screen mode changes to some strange square-sized resolution (in color! 😕) and displays a crap... it is even more strange, because the Windows booting splash screen displays fine...

And Windows is not only app where that strange things occur - I have downloaded some "Hercules tools" from somewhere (I'll attach it) - there are programs called hercdemo.com and testpix.exe. I don't even know what they are supposed to display, because I get this strange square resolution.

And some other weird things about the HGC emulation, this time text-mode

1. I get color in textmode!!! I don't know exactly why do I, but in some text-mode programs like the old mouse test program with the on-screen piano, I hope you know, I get full color! 😕 Even in the Win 3.1 installer, which detects HGC and displays in mono, the progress bar in the first, text-mode install phase is YELLOW, not white.

2. It is particularly related to the strange color things, too. DOSbox HGC emulator does not emulate the MDA/HGC textmode perfectly, so the chars which are supposed to be underlined, are in fact BLUE...

Attachments

• Filename
    hercules.zip
    File size
    31.69 KiB
    Downloads
    258 downloads
    File comment
    Hercules Tools
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception