VOGONS

First post, by voyageur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

These features look like they're developping nicely, and that sure promises some great nights in a close future 😀

To make it easy to interconnect different dosboxes, a default port sure is an advantage (it can get boring to keep a list of friends' favorite ports). However the default ports chosen trouble me a bit:

- for IPX, won't using the same port number as the real IPX mess with other IPX communications? (since dosbox uses a IPX tunneling if I read the multiplayer guide right) Of course, when one is running dosbox, he won't often launch an IPX program at the same time
- for virtual modem, why does the default port force to choose between playing dosbox and letting people access the computer by telnet? (yes I know telnet is bad, ssh is good, but some people never change...). Ringing sounds can also disturb a good game if a telnet connection is tried, though they were set to on to help connection problem with another game
- and finally: all ports under 1024 are 'privileged' ports and unix servers can't bind to these adresses with normal users (and running dosbox as root is not a great idea).

Most of theses remarks sure are limited to linux et al, but if linux users use some default port, and windows users another one, ... well you see the picture.

Now that this is said, I can't wait for next LAN OMF 2097 tournament 😁

Voyageur

Reply 1 of 3, by CobraA1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I hope more stuff is done with the virtual modem as well 😉. The biggest problem I see right now is for programs that enforce a "correct" phone number - allowing the user to map numbers to IP addresses sounds like a good idea. Right now, entering "123.456.789" as a phone number can't be done in a game I'm trying to get working, as the game doesn't allow periods as part of a phone number. Other games may have other limitations, such as limiting the number to 7 digits.

Reply 2 of 3, by taiken7

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

2^23 ~ = 10^7 so in dotted notation
255.255.255.255 = 32 bit
0.128.255.255 = maximum addressable space with 7 decimal numbers (0,7,8,8 bit).

Or we could use a subset 5.6.6.6 (bit) address. (0.0.0.0 thru 32.64.64.64)

Or even a redundant 8,88,88,88 (Interpret decimal as 0 thru 8, @ 3bit / digit) = (3,6,6,6 bits).

(Its a fun exercise, but the 1st seems more practical with some offset added,[possibly in the .CONF file]).