VOGONS

First post, by rambo919

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No matter the build it simply does not run, tried getting the source and building myself but it simply refuses to do so. Should I just wait or is there a fix?

Reply 1 of 2, by rajmurt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Last time I tried to build it about a year ago, there were a lot of changes needed to successfully build it on non-Ubuntu Linux. It eventually built, but it was quite slow. Maybe I'll try again one of these days with the new version. It's just that there are so many codes in there that are not relevant or working in Linux, and it also depends on patched libraries like SDL, which I don't intend to do for my production PC.

Reply 2 of 2, by rajmurt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, I built the dosbox ykhwong in 64-bit Fedora Linux and it successfully ran. I turned off printing, networking, and sound so it can be built without SDL patch and such. Just used as a trial to test save and restore state, which seems to work ok, although not perfect.

It looks like a lot of fixes need to be done to have it fully working in 64-bit Linux. At least the speed wasn't as bad as before.

You may want to check other active threads related to 64-bit Linux and ykhwong daum that have more info.

Update: I rebuilt it more properly, except no printing and no SDL_Sound so I don't have to patch SDL. It is working quite well, both save and restore state, image scaling (albeit software scaling I believe), sound and such. I had to comment out SDL_GetDesktopMode() since I wasn't planning on patching SDL, so the initial window size is always 1024x768, and I don't intend to run in fullscreen mode anyway. I'll await the proper 64-bit version when they become available though.