VOGONS

First post, by Thraka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys (Gals too 😀

Just wondering what is missing from dosbox to get it to run some of the higher old dos games full speed? (like descent2 or privateer) Have anyone had success in tweaking the settings and getting them to run well?

WHere is the emulation taking place? on the video card cpu or pc cpu?

Reply 1 of 8, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

> WHere is the emulation taking place? on the video card cpu or pc cpu?

I think the answer is: All of the above + sound card, disk, diskette, CD-ROM, modem, printer, network...

Anything less, and it would not be a real emulator, just a fancy wrapper.

Edit: Re. "Descent II" - I think GliDOS supports it?
Edit2: Yep - http://www.glidos.net/descent.html?lang=en
--
MiniMax

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 8, by Thraka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MiniMax wrote:
> Edit: Re. "Descent II" - I think GliDOS supports it? Edit2: Yep - http://www.glidos.net/descent.html?lang=en -- MiniMax […]
Show full quote

> Edit: Re. "Descent II" - I think GliDOS supports it?
Edit2: Yep - http://www.glidos.net/descent.html?lang=en
--
MiniMax

I'd rather have dosbox it's best and able to run everything dos 😀 And not have to use another emulator for games 😁

Reply 4 of 8, by Thraka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm just trying to throw out ideas. Maybe something will end up sparking another and we get a speed increase. It never hurts to talk about stuff like this 😀 Like with the new OPENGL. This obvously has to open a new avenue to get some speed. I personaly cant seem to get it to run fast in say a game like Descent 1/2.

With opengl, can you specify you want all the calculations done on the hosting hardware (gfx card) or on the cpu. Maybe it's on the cpu? 😀

Maybe even some sort of plugin system would be good. Like ePSXe has. So people can make their own video drivers or sound drivers, perhaps imporoving the general wellness of DosBox. 😀

Just some ideas, please comment and add your own!

Reply 5 of 8, by CobraA1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

K. FYI, I think the latest DOSBox does in fact support OpenGL, but keep in mind that it still has to emulate older video cards, so a lot of video stuff is still hapenning on the CPU.

It's nice to hear that somebody's interested in new ideas 😀. BTW, DOSBox is Open Source, so you can already make your own video and sound drivers and stuff 😉.

Reply 6 of 8, by Thraka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CobraA1 wrote:

It's nice to hear that somebody's interested in new ideas 😀. BTW, DOSBox is Open Source, so you can already make your own video and sound drivers and stuff 😉.

Well see the thing about a plugin system thoguh is that you dont have to have a whole other EXE to get video/audio changes, which is what I was getting at 😀

CobraA1 wrote:

K. FYI, I think the latest DOSBox does in fact support OpenGL, but keep in mind that it still has to emulate older video cards, so a lot of video stuff is still hapenning on the CPU.

I dont get any speed increase from the opengl, so it will be nice to see how it pans out in future versions 😀

Reply 7 of 8, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OpenGL doesn't speed up the emulation in DOSBox at all. It's not used for 3D graphics, but simply as a bilinear filter when stretching the image.

It would be nice to have DOS Glide emulation with DOSBox someday, but that's very far into the future, if ever. I would very much want to see it, tho, because of Redguard. Yes, I know, it works fine with Glidos, but it would be nice if it worked with DOSBox too 😀

Reply 8 of 8, by Thraka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Freddo wrote:

OpenGL doesn't speed up the emulation in DOSBox at all. It's not used for 3D graphics, but simply as a bilinear filter when stretching the image.

It would be nice to have DOS Glide emulation with DOSBox someday, but that's very far into the future, if ever. I would very much want to see it, tho, because of Redguard. Yes, I know, it works fine with Glidos, but it would be nice if it worked with DOSBox too 😀

Exactly! Be able to merge GliDOS and DOSbox into ... DOSbox with glide support hehe 😀