VOGONS

First post, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not sure anyone can use this, but I put together a DOSBox system for OS X that works like this:

DOSBox for OS X has been "wrapped" inside an AppleScript app (called DOSBoxApp) that launches DOSBox. When you launch the AppleScript app, DOSBox opens, with drive C: as a folder inside the AppleScript app and drive D: as the OS X desktop.

If you drop one or more files on the AppleScript app (the icon, not the DOSBox window), those files get copied into drive C: in DOSBox. If DOSBox is not running, the files get copied into Drive C: and then DOSBox itself opens. If DOSBox is already running, the files get copied into drive C: and are available for use.

When DOSBox starts, it runs a batch file in drive C: named COMMANDS.BAT. You can drop a text editor into Drive C: and use it to edit COMMANDS.BAT so that programs run automatically. If you want to get files out of Drive C:, just copy them from DOSBox to drive D: (the OS X desktop).

Again, I don't know if this any use to anyone, but here it is anyway (EDIT: updated link, 2018; new version 10 Oct 2018):

http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/DOSBoxApp2018.zip

EDIT: See a message dated 10 Oct 2018 for details of this new version.

Last edited by emendelson on 2018-10-10, 12:38. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 1 of 23, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Great idea!

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 23, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's fixed now, I think. I always forget to test these things with paths that include spaces. The job of getting a quoted path (with spaces) into an echo command in a shell script is always a nightmare. But I think this works now. Same download as before. Apologies to anyone who downloaded earlier.

Reply 4 of 23, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Suggestion:

In the contained cdrive.conf, replace

Mount -t floppy C: "/Users/yourname/Desktop/Two Words/DOSBoxApp.app/Contents/Resources/Files/CDrive"
Mount -t floppy D: /Users/yourname/Desktop/

by

Mount -t floppy C: "~/Desktop/Two Words/DOSBoxApp.app/Contents/Resources/Files/CDrive"
Mount -t floppy D: ~/Desktop/

~ stands for the User's folder.

I second the answer of Dominus, this is great!

Klimawandel.

Reply 5 of 23, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Excellent suggestion! By the way, the contained drive.conf gets rewritten every time the AppleScript gets launched, so what you're quoting is the text that happened to be in the app when I posted it. Now that I've moved it somewhere else it reads:

Mount -t floppy C: "/Users/edward/WPDOS Files/DOSBoxApp.app/Contents/Resources/Files/CDrive"

I think I see a way to parse the path reliably to remove the /Users/yourname part and replace it with ~. I'll work on that.

About using ~/Desktop: is the Desktop always named Desktop, even in non-English systems? As it stands, I have the AppleScript write out the POSIX path to the Desktop.

Reply 6 of 23, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yes, it's always Desktop, same as it is always Documents, only the "locale" something changes so it appears differently in the nonEnglish system.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 23, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK - thanks for clarifying that. I'll change the Mount D: line to use ~/Desktop.

Meanwhile, just to explain: I construct the .conf file by starting with a file that contains a lot of default settings; this file doesn't change; then the AppleScript creates a temporary file with the "mount C:" line, pointing to the path to a folder deep inside the application itself; then I combine the default settings and the temporary file to create the .conf file that gets used when you launch the application.

Reply 8 of 23, by Darklord42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

To be honest, I find Boxer to be a much better solution in principle for this. As oppose to having many installations of dosbox, each in their own wrapper, we have one installation and each game in their own "boxes" that is launched with the app, and can be clicked on as if they each were their own app. Unfortunately, development has been ceased. The man really needs help.

https://github.com/alunbestor/Boxer/issues/56

Reply 9 of 23, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm sure Boxer is a far better solution than this one. Boxer is the product of years of work. I threw together this AppleScript application in a few minutes, mostly by removing things that I had already written for something else. Absolutely, Boxer is far better. Of course, with my AppleScript, you can make multiple copies, change the name of each, and use them to run as many programs as you like, but that's not the same as the efficient and elegant method used by Boxer.

Reply 10 of 23, by Darklord42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

On the other hand this is really nice applescript work! I've used some basic commands to tell the Terminal.app to run a man/info page for an app, but I was always curious to learn more. Can you recommend a good resource?

Reply 11 of 23, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

If you look at the Dosbox wiki you can see another nice way to use AppleScript with many configs for Dosbox. There are good books about it and some good forums that are always a nice help.
The upside of using the original Dosbox is that the topic won't get closed, as it will happen with boxer topics 😉

Reply 12 of 23, by Darklord42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks will do. I saw a few "guides" on the internet, as well as apple's documentation, but nocomplete online resources like Mendel Cooper's guide for advanced bash scripting.

Well the trick is to know the difference between a dosbox issue and a boxer one. 😀 (Bering in mind that Alun ripped out all the SDL code and replaced it with native solutions) Alun is pretty approachable and has always done his own support.

Last edited by Darklord42 on 2015-07-14, 04:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 23, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wonder if this could be a starting point for Mac versions of my installers.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 14 of 23, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Darklord42 wrote:

Thanks will do.

Well the trick is to know the difference between a dosbox issue and a boxer one. 😀 (Bering in mind that Alun ripped out all the SDL code and replaced it with native solutions) Alun is pretty approachable and has always done his own support.

Boxer does not use stock DOSBox, so this is not the place to ask about any problems with Boxer.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 16 of 23, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Of course but only when the problem occurs with the upstream project as well.
We don't have much patience when people are only reporting that they have x problem with boxer. Happened before...

Reply 17 of 23, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
collector wrote:

The AppleScript I started to do for that, does a similar approach but keeps out of the desktop to not clutter it. I used sone defined folders, did some checks, installed the test game...
Would just need someone with a lot of time to finish it for all games 😉

Reply 18 of 23, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've cleaned up the original AppleScript a bit (removing more things left over from an earlier project). My earlier project used a folder named "Printout" and a launch daemon that monitored that folder for files that it used for printing, sending commands to the host system, etc. None of this is useful for games, so I haven't spent much time adapting it for this new project. But it shouldn't be too difficult to make it work.

Reply 19 of 23, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dominus wrote:
collector wrote:

The AppleScript I started to do for that, does a similar approach but keeps out of the desktop to not clutter it. I used sone defined folders, did some checks, installed the test game...
Would just need someone with a lot of time to finish it for all games 😉

It took me a lot of time to do all of the Windows installers, so I understand the time aspect. However there are some games that are simple enough that a template can be made where only a list of the game files needs to be added to the script. The non CPC protected AGI and the SCI0 games need no special treatment.