VOGONS

Reply 20 of 23, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I finally got the background feature of this system working, though it's still cluttered up with things left over from the system I based it on. Here's an example of how it works.

Open the DOSBoxApp in the Script Editor, and near the top of the AppleScript, change the property useDaemon from "false" to "true".

When you start up the DOSBoxApp it will create a folder named Printout and a couple of subfolders inside its C: drive.

At the DOSBox prompt, do this:

cd Printout
echo emulate > LOOKUP.TMP

If I've done this correctly, the OS X Dictionary will open and define "emulate".

I've written other features that run commands in OS X, and (though I haven't tested them on this system) print PCL output. Again, I don't know if this is useful for games, but it could presumably be adapted to create directories, etc. The background script is in the AppleScript bundle, named dosboxappfolder.scpt; feel free to add features to it.

Reply 21 of 23, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Latest version has some slight changes. If you add "Print" or "Ptr" to the name of the App, that does the same thing as changing the "useDaemon" variable in the AppleScript. A folder named Printout gets created in Drive C:, as described in the previous message. If you have an app running in DOSBox that can print to a text file, set it to print to C:\PRINTOUT\PRINT.TMP. The resulting file will print to the default OS X printer. The AppleScript tries to detect whether your system is set up for (1) the US or Canada, and, if so, the printout uses Letter paper, or (2) anywhere else and, if so, the printout uses A4 paper.

But this is getting away from gaming, and I don't want to take it any further than this.

Reply 22 of 23, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ancient thread, but a forum user pointed out to me that the downlink link was dead. Here's a new link to the same 2015 version, now code-signed, and with a 64-bit version of the included executable that tests for the option keys:

EDIT: It turns out that I messed up the options screen (where you hold down the option key on launch to set fullscreen-window or 43-25-line options), because I took out too much from an older version. It's easy to fix, and I'll get around to it someday. Meanwhile, the app works for 25-line operation, though no one particularly needs it.

EDIT: See next message for an updated version.

Reply 23 of 23, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've now fixed (I think) the options settings that appear when you hold down the Option key on launch, and I've included a custom build of DOSBox that I made in April. Except for bugs, this is the last version of this, and because it uses 32-bit DOSBox, it will be obsolete next year. I'll try to build a custom standalone 64-bit DOSBox for this system (with the generous help that Dominus has given over many years!), but I'll also work on a version that uses DOSBox-X.

Download link in the first message in this thread.