VOGONS

First post, by Khahhbox10T

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello. I am having a lot of fun with dosbox on a Dell-sff pc that I like because I haven't yet installed years of stuff on it. The days are numbered as far as large empty partitions because I find myself using it to download all types of old software and games that I never got because of the price at the time. Thank you abandonware and such.
Since the PC is running Win7, with a realtek high definition audio driver, there isnt an straight forward way to record "what you hear". Its something that dell did purposely so people would be less tempted to record from.........what-ever. There are a few work around's, the easiest one being to use Audacity to record since it uses the windows wasapi driver so doesn't need a "stereo mix" setting in the sound mixer gui. there are a few other workarounds that I can also use. I was wondering how much effort it would take to enable the soundblasters onscreen mixer gui in dosbox to be able to record "what you hear" on Vista's, Win7 and Win 8 computers that lack the ability to (enable) "what you hear" recording of sounds. Before windows gui based control, soundblaster had a dos control screen with sliders and such. What would it take to add it back.

Thanks. Maybe more info than the question needed, but felt that It made the situation clearer. 😀

Reply 1 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't know about the Dell drivers but the Realtek drivers from the realtek website should have the feature you are looking for.

DOSBox also has internal audio and video capture functions.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 4, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

And please don't use and don't advertise abandonware here.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 4, by Khahhbox10T

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, went to the realtek site and same problem with their drivers. Certain computers are able to enable "what you hear" through a lil hoop jumping. Others have to be more direct and take the problem head on. When I have to, I Audacity or use a "virtual cable" that works a lil iffy. Running a program like audacity is a bit much to have to start when I wanna record something.

Audio and video capture functions is close to what I am looking to do but only it would be the primary function and not dependent on a game to be loaded to do its magic.Since its Dosbox, there must be a way to get a mixer of sorts to run under dos enabling me to record what ever is coming out through the speakers. Would be a cool thing for all of the win vista+7+8 folks to have.

I apologize about the glitch in referencing abandonware. Not advertising it at all. But I will take the chance using it when the programs are comming from reputable authors. Never played Marathon (by bungie), I thank them for releasing the game's to the public, stuff like that (wont go on too much about the subject, I get the hint).

What are the chances that I could relay sound on the computer through a mixer in dosbox allowing me to record what I hear?
Just an idea.

Thanks.

Reply 4 of 4, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

chances are slim.
You are way better off to use a modern program like Audacity to do your recordings. You can record stuff directly in Dosbox and it HAS a mixer (readme) but once you have midi in games it gets more difficult.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper