VOGONS

ADLIB GOLD support

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 20 of 30, by Iron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah adlib gold is a very rare card and I'm pretty sure you wont find many games where it would be better than any of the other choices. Adding more stuff seems very unimportant to me, but working to improve the emulation of present stuff is. Yet I find the MT-32 builds (yeah it's the same as LAPC-1 which is mt-32 on a card) very interesting and that's something I think should be worked to include since it makes MANY of the most remembered classics have much better musics.. And games musics have sure always been my thing. Just keep up the good work everyone.

Reply 21 of 30, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Iron wrote:

... Yet I find the MT-32 builds (yeah it's the same as LAPC-1 which is mt-32 on a card) very interesting and that's something I think should be worked to include since it makes MANY of the most remembered classics have much better musics..

Yes, it would be nice to have MT-32 in regular DOSBOX. But there are copyright problems with Roland. So it will probably remain separate.

Mirek

Reply 22 of 30, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think I have to cheer you up here.

MT-32 doesn't have to be emulated 😀

You can just buy it (like you buy joystick for example) and connect to your modern PC. And it works!

You can use it not only with DOSBox but also with VDMSound and SoundFX2000. 😀

Reply 23 of 30, by oneirotekt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I agree that's a good option, but you could also argue that people should build an old 486 machine instead of using DOSBox. One of the major goals of emulation is to preserve the functionality of hardware in software for the day when none of that hardware exists or works. MT-32s are hard to find, expensive and the ones that still work won't be around forever.

I'd really like to see canadacow's MT-32 emulation be part of the regular DOSBox, and it just sits disabled until you give it a PCM ROM file. Amiga emulators already do something similar with the Kickstart boot ROMs, and that is perfectly legal as far as I know.

Ideally DOSBox would support every sound card under the sun, including the obscure ones like Adlib Gold (because there are still a FEW games with unique music written specifically for that card) but I see Qbix's point... the DOSBox authors have to decide what is more important to work on. Support for more obscure hardware sounds like the kind of thing that other, non-team people with sufficient knowledge and dedication could work on in patch form, and if it's good enough it could merged into regular DOSBox later.

Reply 26 of 30, by Guest

User metadata

Kaminari's point obviously is that if adlib gold is the unique OPL3 card for some games. As if it would sound better with aldib gold than any other card supported. But I do not think there's any of such around. And I think the dune musics are at its' best just with adlib, as if it was made for that. And I sure like those musics a lot. And the game too.

And Robertmo's idea is a good one yeah. I would love to buy MT-32 and a GUS etc etc for my REAL dosbox, but I have not seen a single mt-32 for sale around here. and all the high end computer retro stuff is pretty damn expensive anyways. So it's kinda hard to get one in your hands. Especially if you dont have humongous amounts of cash in hand.

And since the point of dosbox is to give a chance to play old games and stuff with your modern computer, old games should ofcourse be played at their best.

Reply 29 of 30, by Z_God

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wouldn't the Adlib Gold drivers that some games might contain automaticly work when OPL3 support is added?

I believe I could even use the Adlib Gold driver for Windows instead of the driver that came with my SB16 compatible soundcard (ALS100) to get midi sound in Windows.

Reply 30 of 30, by ommadawnyawn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It sounds like this, pretty nice in my opinion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUfGyfbzl9k&t=1s

With samples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATb8zhdINpg&t=376s

I'm resurrecting the thread to ask about which other games use the card well, if any?