VOGONS

ADLIB GOLD support

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by greenman

User metadata

I'd like to ask if is possible to make support for ADLIB GOLD emulation in DOSBox somewhen in the future.

Thanx.

Reply 1 of 30, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's got an OPL3 (YMF-262) chip, hopefully it will work properly in the next release.

Here's a list of games that claim support with the card:
http://www.mobygames.com/attribute/sheet/attributeId,76/

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 4 of 30, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Glad I could find this thread instead of creating a new one.

Indeed AdLib Gold support wouldn't make much sense since SB16 does pretty much the same. Except that the AdLib Gold was the first card to use an OPL3 and a handful games had support for it but not for later OPL3-based cards like SB16.

I'm specifically talking about Dune here. Both the floppy and CD versions had specific support for AdLib Gold; wouldn't it be worth adding AdLib Gold support in DosBox if only for that game? 😀

Reply 9 of 30, by prompt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did a quick search and found an archive that contains a word document and code samples describing the low-level programming of the adlib gold. So if anybody thinks this information is "decent enough" and having opl3 sound instead of opl2 is worth all the work...

http://www.dcee.net/Files/Programm/Sound/sdtk.zip

Reply 12 of 30, by icemann

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mind my complete noobieness to these things but what changes (soundwise) will the adding of opl3 to the soundblaster emulation make? As I know absolutely nothing about these kinds of things. And what is it exactly?

Two stones, two crosses, the rest is just icing. - 7th Guest

Reply 15 of 30, by icemann

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Still reading it as we speak 😀. After listening to a few of the samples and getting upto the Roland LAPC-1, and hearing the great sound quality incomparison to adlib etc all I can say is WOW. Are there any plans to add compatability with this sound card to dosbox?

Reply 18 of 30, by icemann

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Harekiet: But from a emulation perspective, isn`t the point to be emulating as many soundcards as possible so that users could emulate those old computers we used to have and hear the sounds we all used to hear back then? Rather than a "close enough and is basically the same as sound card B" method?

Reply 19 of 30, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

i do not agree. Emulating enough soundcards to be able to play all games with (with acceptable) sound should be the goal.

Adding a whole new emulation to dosbox to mimic one card that is never used exclusively would make things only more complex from various views. (not the least to the end user or people providing support)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!