VOGONS

What's planned for DosBox 0.75?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DosBox 0.74 has been the latest official stable version for nearly six years now. Since it has come out, there have been many changes and revisions added to the SVN, including new features. Why is 0.74 still the latest official stable version, and what is being planned for 0.75? I know it's kind of a dumb question, but it's something that's been bugging me for a long time. I'm not asking for a release date, I just want to know what the DosBox team wants to accomplish before 0.75 is released.

Reply 1 of 27, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Since the release of 0.74 there's been ridiculously fast CPUs coming into use, and the auto/max cycles stuff goes haywire on them with loads of skips, so i'd imagine* something involving that, because even max 1% is crazy

*DID NOT SEE ROADMAPS OR INSIDE KNOWLEDGE AND PLANS

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 27, by lightmaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

DosBox 0.74 has been the latest official stable version for nearly six years now. Since it has come out, there have been many changes and revisions added to the SVN, including new features. Why is 0.74 still the latest official stable version, and what is being planned for 0.75? I know it's kind of a dumb question, but it's something that's been bugging me for a long time. I'm not asking for a release date, I just want to know what the DosBox team wants to accomplish before 0.75 is released.

More percentage of emulated systems maybe..

25071588525_735097840e_b.jpg

Reply 3 of 27, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Since the release of 0.74 there's been ridiculously fast CPUs coming into use, and the auto/max cycles stuff goes haywire on them with loads of skips, so i'd imagine* something involving that, because even max 1% is crazy

*DID NOT SEE ROADMAPS OR INSIDE KNOWLEDGE AND PLANS

I kinda noticed that when I tried to play Carmageddon on my Athlon 860k rig the other day. It doesn't play nearly as nicely in DosBox as it did back when I was still running a Core 2 Duo.

Reply 4 of 27, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Yeah 🙁
I have been debugging and checking it with the help of sndwv. If I have finished a (possible solution), I might ask for more testers to get more data.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 27, by jk3one

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

At least all this seems to indicate that there WILL be a version 0.75. An official one, I mean. Great! I remember that I started a similar thread a long time ago. I was afraid since then that the DOSBox authors for some reason could not publish an offical 0.75. For some reason, DOSBox seems dead for years now, although they keep developing in the background. It almost seems as if the reason is nothing technical. More an unwillingness to MAKE it offical. I wonder why...

Reply 7 of 27, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I doubt 0.75 will ever come... Maybe 0.8 or so 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 27, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jk3one wrote:

At least all this seems to indicate that there WILL be a version 0.75. An official one, I mean. Great! I remember that I started a similar thread a long time ago. I was afraid since then that the DOSBox authors for some reason could not publish an offical 0.75. For some reason, DOSBox seems dead for years now, although they keep developing in the background. It almost seems as if the reason is nothing technical. More an unwillingness to MAKE it offical. I wonder why...

Every time one of these threads pops up the release gets pushed back another year.

Now you know and can devote that brainpower to more important pursuits.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 9 of 27, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote:
jk3one wrote:

Every time one of these threads pops up the release gets pushed back another year.

Well last release was so long ago that it's understandable for people not so much involved in the forum to post questions about it every once a while.
You guys are too harsh on the subject, although not inexplicably harsh given how fed up you must be with it!

Reply 10 of 27, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A new release is nothing to be afraid of. If there aren't any showstopper bugs at the moment, make it a beta and let people download it. Wait a few weeks for complaints, fix regressions, don't fix what never worked and call it a release.

Do it nao.

Reply 13 of 27, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jk3one wrote:

I think a certain level of polish and stability needs to be achieved for a flagship release. DosBox 0.75 is going to be huge, and I'm excited for it.

Dominus wrote:

I doubt 0.75 will ever come... Maybe 0.8 or so 😉

Haha, maybe. 😉 Tbh, DosBox's current version numbering scheme kind of reminds me of how the Linux kernel was stuck at 2.6.* for however many years... then one day they decided to release 3.0, and not too long after, 4.0.

DosFreak wrote:

I was actually afraid of invoking that to be honest. I know I'm not the first person to have asked this question, but at least I'm not begging for 0.75 to be released, as I know it isn't ready.

Qbix wrote:

There are some things that need to be fixed before it is ready.
There is no need to bug us about it. It doesn't help or speed it up.

That's pretty much the general impression I get. Things have changed a LOT since 0.74, after all. Speaking of, wasn't there some issue with DosBox relying on an old version of SDL that newer versions are completely incompatible with? I know it's been a problem when it's come to compiling it on Linux.

Reply 14 of 27, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Dosbox uses SDL 1.x and not SDL2. But that's not much of a problem. They can both co-exist.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 15 of 27, by Da Easy Mitch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Azarien wrote:

If there aren't any showstopper bugs at the moment, make it a beta and let people download it. Wait a few weeks for complaints, fix regressions, don't fix what never worked and call it a release.

Isn't that exactly what they are doing already? The only difference is that it's not called "beta" or "0.7x", but there are regular updates every now and then that you can use. Is the version number really that important? Would it really make anyone feel better if the current SVN would be released and called 0.75?

Reply 17 of 27, by lightmaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"Internet Archive Wayback Machine
"http://www.dosbox.com/status.php?show_status=1
Saved 102 times between december 21, 2007 and december 13, 2015."
Is there any method to compare those status pages?
"Note: This calendar view maps the number of times http://www.dosbox.com/status.php?show_status=1 was crawled by the Wayback Machine, not how many times the site was actually updated..."

25071588525_735097840e_b.jpg

Reply 18 of 27, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
lightmaster wrote:

Is there any method to compare those status pages?

You'd have to download each status page, remove anything Internet-Archive-related in the code, and then run a diff. I can't imagine Qbix updates that all that much between releases, but you never know. *shrug*

If you really want to see what's changed in SVN, you merely need to follow the log: https://sourceforge.net/p/dosbox/code-0/HEAD/log/?path=
(and of course, it's relatively easy to compile your own)

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto