VOGONS

First post, by Tricky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

While I was working experimenting to get a DOSBox wrapper set up for an old DOS Game of mine my output catcher caught THIS warning:

2016-03-01 22:29:27.057 DOSBox[57669:3504938] 22:29:27.027 WARNING:  140: This application, or a library it uses, is using the deprecated Carbon Component Manager for hosting Audio Units. Support for this will be removed in a future release. Also, this makes the host incompatible with version 3 audio units. Please transition to the API's in AudioComponent.h.

It was caught on the moment DOSBox was launched (and running the DosBox binary directly from the unix prompt confirmed that it was indeed DOSBox that causes this), and frankly, nearly all Mac applications coded and compiled in an OS X version prior to El Capitan suffer from this.

Reply 1 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

it's fixed in SVN, try my built.

The cause is two fold (and has nothing to do with coded or built below El Capitan). SDL the backend of Dosbox and many other apps hasn't been fixed and when it concerns SDL 1.2x the SDL developers are reluctant to fix it *and* release a new version.
Dosbox shares it's audio code with Exult, ScummVM and a couple other ones and that part is outdated but produced a warning when building in earlier OS X versions as well.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 6, by Tricky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I see. I guess that it's a coincidence for me then that I saw the error the first time when I upgraded to El Capitan (In one of my own games actually coded in BlitzMax, and considering how quick Apple is with deprecating and removing stuff, I guess I assumed things the wrong way).

And since console output is not shown in "normal" OS X usage, I wasn't sure if this was known since an issue like this could easily remain "under the hood".

Anyway I'm glad that a fix exists. Is it only an SVN now, or is this fix already available from the 'regular download page' as well?

Reply 3 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Only in SVN, there hasn't been a new version for a while and it might take another while 😀

I uploaded the patch almost three years ago https://sourceforge.net/p/dosbox/patches/256/ (if you need a pointer with your own game) and the SDL patch is at https://bugzilla.libsdl.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3127 for both sDL 1.2x and SDL2.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 6, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tricky wrote:

I see. I guess that it's a coincidence for me then that I saw the error

Just for the record, it's not an error. Just a deprecation warning. Which means they'll probably remove support for the old API years from now, so it's nothing to actually worry about.

Reply 6 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

An adaptation to SDL 2.0 (Alpha-level Android build attached)