VOGONS

First post, by pigfish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This bug is driving me nutty,
I'm trying to make a win95 boot disk
I have the win95 img, but when I try to boot straight it flashes the win95 logo for a split second and then says I started off with an incompatible version of dos, so what I did is I found a win95 boot img, 1.44Mb in size.

I want to combine the 1.44MB boot image into the 500Mb Win95 img, so I've been trying to create a new img file 800Mb in size
when I mount the img file though it says "Loaded image has no valid magicnumbers at the end!"

I want to be able to boot the dos for win95 then run win and boot into windows

is there any easier way to go about all this? I'm going crazy 😲

*Edit*
I just download VirtualBox, create a new image, installed the DOS and Windows over to the VDI, convert the VDI to IMG and DosBox STILL says there's no magic numbers at the end. I don't understand, why won't it just ignore the magic numbers and mount it? Every other tool can mount it, I can mount it with OSF Mount, I can read it with 7Zip, VirtualBox has no problem loading it. I think my DosBox is posessed. 😊

Reply 3 of 3, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It's a "sanity check" DOSBox uses for mounting FAT volumes. If your intention is to boot then just don't mount the image as a FAT volume by using the "-fs none" switch with the IMGMOUNT command.

FYI, the last two bytes of the MBR should be 0x55 0xAA; those are the "magic numbers".