VOGONS

First post, by kekko

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've found a strange bug introduced in the latest cvs releases that wasn't into the 0.61 official sources: when i run wolf3d in the cvs build if the cpu cycles are higher than ~3000 the sound card isn't recognized at startup of game. I compiled both 0.61 and cvs with msvc6+sp5+processorpack and only cvs has this error while 0.61 works perfectly at any speed. has anyone the answer?

Reply 2 of 11, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

in the cvs the soundcard stuff has changed a lot.
it might help to regenerate the configfile and take a look at it
(sb16 opl3 dma 16 bit etc etc)

I noticed my self that sometimes the sound stops playing.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 11, by kekko

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

it doesn't seems to be a config related problem: i've already regenerated configfile and tried every opl emulations and still don't works 😢 .
Simply when I start with cycles=3000 (or less) it works, while it doesn't works at 3500 or above.
It seems rather than a too much busy cpu prevents the acknowledgment (wolf3d hasn't a setup, but an autodetect at startup) could be this a new bug?

icemann: I've just bought a new pc, so...

Reply 5 of 11, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Seems it doesn't like too fast machines, the routine it uses to wait for 80 microseconds for the adlib timer to occur is flawed that it screws up while the machine is too fast. Wonder how this goes on a real machine though since it should probably happen there too. The routine it uses to wait 80 microseconds takes 240 or so dosbox cycles, so that should work up until about setting dosbox to 3000 cycles 😀

Reply 6 of 11, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

well.. wolf3d detects my viaudio onboard in dos with duron 1400 😉

btw- i would like to ask which oplmode goes with which sbtype, cause with dosbox20040322.zip i have to specify adlibmode with sb1 for wolf32. If I leave it auto, sb is not detected by wolf. (all other sbtypes works ok with oplmode=auto)

Last edited by robertmo on 2004-03-26, 11:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 11, by MabusRaeen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Same thing occurs with Jones in the Fast lane when the number of cycles goes over ~8000.

Author of D-Fend, a DOSBox frontend.

D-Fend homepage.
http://members.home.nl/mabus