VOGONS

First post, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The commercial dbDOS variant of DOSBox (based mostly on Megabuild, I think) claims significant speed enhancements (and something called a "live file system") in their latest version, dbDOS 4.0. The source code for the DOSBox-based part of the dbDOS system has now been posted here:

http://www.dbase.com/downloads/dbDOS_PRO_4_engine_source.zip

I don't pretend to understand the source, but I wonder whether the change in the file system is anything more than eliminating the directory cache, or whether there's anything else involved. I built the dbDOS version and wasn't able to see any specific change, except that it seemed to work in the same way that DOSBox itself works (not requiring RESCAN when changing files from Windows, not inside DOSBox itself) if you add EmptyCache after each FindFirst operation (something I didn't think up myself, of course - it was ripsaw8080 who told me about it). EDIT: ripsaw8080 actually recommended eliminating the cache entirely, not adding EmptyCache... apologies for misinformation!

It would be interesting to know what experts make of this code.

Last edited by emendelson on 2016-04-25, 17:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 3, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Why not simply ask the author to explain the reasoning behind the claims? Speed improvements could be relative to previous releases of that source, not necessarily relative to official source.

As I mentioned to you before, it is more efficient to eliminate the directory cache entirely than to continually dump and rebuild it, which may be all the speed improvement amounts to. File search speed within the emulation will certainly degrade sans cache, but how much it degrades depends on the performance of the host's storage system.

Reply 2 of 3, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The author is clearly a programmer working under contract; his first name seems to be Olivier, but that's all I can be certain about, and the marketer seems to make marketing claims.

And of course you're right: I forgot that in my project, following your advice, I removed the directory cache entirely, instead of merely rebuilding it. My first message misstated your recommendation; apologies!