VOGONS

First post, by NewRisingSun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A10 Tank Killer 1.5's INSTALL.COM tries to detect whether it's running from a floppy drive by running FCB Find First with "A10 ?". The actual volume label is "A10 1". Since DOSBox does not seem to allow for spaces in filenames, the volume label is never found even when running from an IMGMOUNTed drive, thus the installation program never offers the option to install from floppy disks to hard disks. (At least for this game, this is not a big deal since the program just copies the files which can be done by hand as well.)

Reply 1 of 5, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

And the CD version uses a Sierra type installer with INST.EXE, INSTALL.HLP, INSTALL.TXT and the INSTALL.SCR script.

As to labels with spaces it would take a while to dig out my floppies and check. I do have some memory that the MS-DOS 6.x disk labels had a double space.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 2 of 5, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does it check for floppies once installed?

If not, you may boot DOS from a floppy, install it to HDD and then run it.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 3 of 5, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

NRS is not asking how to install A-10, but about other disks that have a space in the label.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 5, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
collector wrote:

NRS is not asking how to install A-10, but about other disks that have a space in the label.

I can see how you might interpret the thread title that way, but I think "Searching" in this case refers to the program operation of searching the disk directory for the volume label. Anyway, a number of other Dynamix titles have install programs that search for floppy disk volume labels containing spaces: Willy Beamish, Rise of the Dragon, et al.