VOGONS

First post, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not sure this belongs here at all, but there have been various requests for one or more bits of this, so maybe someone will find it useful.

While working on a separate project (not involving games), I realized that it wouldn't be hard to put together a version of that project that would combine the following into a single build:

* Current SVN (r3981)
* Wengier Wu's LFN, DBCS, titlebar, and mouse/clipboard patches for current SVN
* h-a-l-9000's printer and parallel port support from Megabuild 6 (tested and working)
* the Win32 system menu (About box,etc.) based on code from the dbDOS fork
* an alternate clipboard-paste method based on the dbDOS fork (uses Ctrl-Alt-F4 by default; also available from the system menu)

Plus various things that many other forum members helped me with (and you know who you are if we communicated via PM):

* 9-pixel fonts by default
* a keystroke to clear all shift states if CapsLock etc. gets stuck on (Ctrl-Alt-F6)
* a keystroke to redraw the screen AND clear all shift states (Ctrl-Alt-F3), useful if the screen gets messed up
* a MODE command taken from DOSBox SVN Daum (I don't know who originally wrote it)
* a START command that runs Windows programs from the DOSBox command line
* various screen-size commands that change the text screen size without changing font size:
** 43LINES, 50LINES, 60LINES, 66LINES, 132x43, 132X60 (a bit like the special purpose videocard-monitor combinations from the 1980s); also a 25LINES command to get back to the 25-line mode.
* an alternate build that defaults to 43 lines and supports MODE MONO (with underline) in 43-lines
* various other minor changes identified in the source with "emendelson" (but also giving credit to the original author of the relevant code in each case)

The project is called DOSBoxWP; the "WP" refers to the purpose of my other project, and I thought it was only polite to make clear that this doesn't pretend to be the original DOSBox.

The build environment (designed for Visual Studio through 2013) has a config.h that lets you build for 43 lines instead of 25. It also has a WPDOS option that makes various changes in menus, mapper assignments, and a few other things, but won't be useful to anyone but me.

In the build environment, you can build in VS2015 by replacing the contents of the SDL-1.2.5 directory with the contents of the SDL-1.2.5 - VS2015 directory.

I built this without network/modem related features, but they can be added in by editing config.h. I haven't tried building in OS X or Linux.

Binaries for 25 and 43-line here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/271144/DO … xWP-Binaries.7z

Complete build environment for use in Visual C++ or Visual Studio (I've been using VS 2010):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/271144/DO … AndLibraries.7z

I don't know if this is useful to anyone, and I want to emphasize that I've done nothing except combine other people's work into a single project. I know almost nothing about programming, and anything worthwhile in this project was done by other people.

Again, I'm not sure any of this is relevant to games, though perhaps the screen-redrawing and clear-shift-state keystrokes might come in handy for someone.

EDIT: I updated both files to include KEYBUF.COM, used by Wengier's keyboard-pasting routine, and modified autoexec.bat to launch it if the clipboard is enabled in the build. If you've already downloaded and run the program delete the old conf file by deleting C:\Users\<yourname>\AppData\Local\DOSBox\*.conf

Last edited by emendelson on 2016-05-06, 19:56. Edited 2 times in total.