VOGONS

First post, by rebe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The Windows compatibility layer WINE which enables us to run windows programs on Linux systems uses Dosbox for its dos compatibility. Unfortunately the latest release of dosbox has a bug that bugs Wine users:

https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=18118

So as a Wine user you rely on using Dosbox SVN builds (where this bug is fixed) instead of the latest (old and rugged) release. I wonder why the Dosbox project does not release a new version of Dosbox that would overcome this hurdle.

The last Dosbox release 0.74 is from 2010. That was ~6 years ago!

Reply 1 of 12, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Threads like these pop up from time to time, more so in the last year. Short answer : It takes a while, people have their own personal lives getting in the way of side projects like DOSBox.

Just use the SVN builds.

Reply 2 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rebe wrote:

Unfortunately the latest release of dosbox has a bug that bugs Wine users:

https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=18118

That report just refers to 0.74 not including "the fix" without clearly explaining what the problem is and why it affects multiple games.

Reply 3 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

sorry, but this is just stupid in that context (NOT calling rebe stupid, mind you). Using WINE to run the Windows version of Dosbox instead of running a native Dosbox build...
But yes, you will likely be better off running an SVN built, be it native or in Wine (which I think is stupid).
And word of advice, when you ask about why there is no new version of any open source software, please assume that you are not the first to ask that, so use the search...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 12, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is that what they are really doing? The DOSBox page on WINE's sight refers to the DOSBox version that ships with Debian and Ubuntu. https://wiki.winehq.org/DOSBox

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 5 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

It's what I can gather from the bug report

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 12, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote:

sorry, but this is just stupid in that context (NOT calling rebe stupid, mind you). Using WINE to run the Windows version of Dosbox instead of running a native Dosbox build...
But yes, you will likely be better off running an SVN built, be it native or in Wine (which I think is stupid).
And word of advice, when you ask about why there is no new version of any open source software, please assume that you are not the first to ask that, so use the search...

64-bit builds of DosBox don't support 80-bit FPU precision, which results in graphical glitches in Carmageddon. An easy way to get around this is by running a 32-bit Windows copy of DosBox in WINE. This might affect other games too, I dunno, but I've generally had better luck running alternative DosBox builds under WINE than running them natively.

Reply 7 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

well, with a little tinkering you can have 32bit Dosbox in most OS and that's what I'm recommending.
Alternative builds can be tricky when the code has not been properly maintained and breaks on building on anything other than Windows. But that is not the problem with the bug report mentioned.

Reply 9 of 12, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dominus wrote:

It's what I can gather from the bug report

Then that is really silly. It is using WINE to run the Win installer that is not much more than a self extractor packed with DOSBox 0.65. It then uses WINE to run the included Win32 DOSBox 0.65. It is a poorly packaged game. It seems that all that is necessary is to extract the "Sid Meier's Railroad Tycoon" folder from $COMMONFILES\2K Games\" and copy the base files from the installer into it. Then start RDX2.BAT in the user's native DOSBox. So you are right, Dominus, it is stupid.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 10 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

After reading more in depth, it is a bit different. The original bug report in 2009 was indeed just about using the bundled Dosbox 0.65. Eventually it became partly about Wine using the native DOSBox which is not correctly working in all cases.

Reply 11 of 12, by rebe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The point is as follows as I can see it: WINE forwards to Dosbox to handle dos executables. As you can see e.g. in
https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7848
the issue is:
"I downloaded and tested the 4 apps from comment 4 in 1.7.50, and Wine successfully starts all of them in DOSBox svn r3932. My guess is that they probably won't work when run from Wine with DOSBox 0.74, which is what is still packaged by most distros."

or Bug 18118 Multiple DOS apps/games fail to start in DOSBox when started from Wine (need DOSBox > 0.74)

this is related to https://wiki.winehq.org/DOSBox

"Since 0.75 is still not released, we rely on packagers to include the two patches mentioned below, for example since October 2015 Debian and Ubuntu ships them in their dosbox 0.74-4.1 "

With the patches to dosbox being:
DOSBox commit for changing the Z-Drive r3736
DOSBox commit for Wine style name mangling r3743

This is part of trunk. As you see debian distributions ship patched versions of 0.74 upstream code.

Reply 12 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You might be more successful getting the packagers to include the two patches than getting the Dosbox devs to release a new version for those unable to spend half an hour to roll their own SVN built of Dosbox