VOGONS

First post, by agentmith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I occasionally go here https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/SVN_Builds#List_of_SVN_Builds and grab the latest SVN for OSX from this link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7737184/Dosbox/Dosbox-Snapshot.dmg.

The DOSBox SVN builds I have that are dated 5-3-16 and 6-25-16 exhibit this problem, but an older one dated 8-25-15 does not, and imgmount works as intended.

When I try to mount an image, (bin/cue or iso, I've tried many images) I get the error "ROM file not accessible". I use the same command I've always used, and normally have it in a batch file to mount prior to program execution so I know I'm running it the same way. The images worked with previous builds, and still mount up fine with the host OS or in Windows. When I try running imgmount on the build dated 8-25-15 it works as intended. They're all using the same dosbox.conf file. What's interesting is I get the same error if I try to mount a bogus path or filename, so it's almost like it's not seeing the file.

I've attached example screenshots that demonstrate it working with the older SVN, and not working with the current one.

Any ideas?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Does it work if you mount it with the host path (mount d /users/path.../elite3.iso -t iso)?
And does it work with an up to date SVN built for Windows?
And have you made sure that you are not doing anything in between that locks the file somehow (but that's just me grasping for straws 😉)?
I'll have to try and see if I can pin down when it went bad, if I can reproduce this (I'm keeping backups of my builds for easy regression checks).

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 5, by agentmith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried the literal path (the path shown in the working version after mounting) as well as the relative path (C:\z_ISO\image.whatever and image.whatever from within the directory), and neither worked. The example of it working with the older version shows it working as far as path and file locks are concerned, and I ruled that out right away by mounting it merrily all over the place from other systems. It's never been an issue previously, and I'm using all the same batch files that mount the images prior to whatever I'm doing, so nothing has changed outside of the DOSbox SVN version. Every once in a while I just replace the DOSbox application with updated versions.

I just tried on the Windows SVN both with literal and relative path with no issues.

Let me know if there is anything else I can try to help with.

Reply 3 of 5, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

That is weird. As it is an errormessage of a different program (not imgmount)
In fact, I would guess that a different program is being run. (LOADROM instead of IMGMOUNT)
Did you happen to copy IMGMOUNT of the Z:\ drive to a different drive and loading that ? (an old version of IMGMOUNT basicly)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I only have time to test in an hour or so, but please give us your complete commands you used in dosbox since you started it and try z:\imgmount instead of imgmount.

Edit: Qbix is probably right, you must have copied imgmount from an earlier version from z:\ to the folder you mount as c (or somewhere else in your path). I don't understand why one would do that but you better don't 😀
(I tried to reproduce imgmount problems with my snapshots and couldn't hence my agreement with Qbix)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 5, by agentmith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I figured it out. I have an actual copy of MS-DOS 6.22 that is set in PATH= to in the dosbox.conf, and somehow during some drunken revision I had omitted Z: from the path. As MS-DOS has it's own set of commands, including imgmount.com which is what is causing the confusion, I hadn't noticed as I rarely play CD games and everything else works correctly. After adding Z: back in, it works as expected.

Thanks for the help in tracking it down, it was driving me nuts.