VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 260 of 733, by marooned_on_mars

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ant_222 wrote:

Nope, I was not going to say that. My own main PC is some twelve years old and has Windows XP on it, and my other PC sports an old Viewsonic LCD with a resoltion of 1024x768.

Ah, that's not what I meant, I meant that for pixel perfect to work, I would need a higher resolution monitor, as some have suggested in this thread, and as you mentioned.

Ant_222 wrote:

I don't know what that munt diff is all about and how it is related to my patch. Do you suggest that I should include it into my patch and maintain it? What about the original author?

No. If you recall, I had problems applying the munt diff after using your patch, so I fixed it to work with your own patch, and I wanted you to add it to the first post of this thread, so it would be visible to others who might need it.

Reply 261 of 733, by Ant_222

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
marooned_on_mars wrote:

I meant that for pixel perfect to work, I would need a higher resolution monitor, as some have suggested in this thread, and as you mentioned.

The pixel-perfect patch does work even with your relatively small monitor, but it has not enough space to apply aspect-ratio correction and is forced display the image with unity PAR. If you get any aspect correcton with other settings, it is lossy and distorts the image by interpolation, either bilinear or nearest-neighbor.

Ant_222 wrote:

I don't know what that munt diff is all about and how it is related to my patch. Do you suggest that I should include it into my patch and maintain it? What about the original author?

No. If you recall, I had problems applying the munt diff after using your patch, so I fixed it to work with your own patch, and I wanted you to add it to the first post of this thread, so it would be visible to others who might need it.

OK, I will (Edit: done), but you had better notify the maintainer/author of this patch, because further updates may break it again...

Reply 263 of 733, by jfrisby

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I posted about this in the request thread months ago and just found the patch -- AMAZING! Works great! Looks perfect!

RIP years of correcting aspect ratios manually in screenshots. A good reason to replay everything 😁

Reply 264 of 733, by KainXVIII

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Found another game which works bad without surface-collapse-dbl set to true - Normality, if someone interested. If set to false game screen is much smaller and when you press alt+enter to enter windowed mode dosbox just hangs.
Also Jazz Jackrabbit has strange behavior in windowed mode with pixel-perfect enabled.

Reply 266 of 733, by KainXVIII

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Leisure Suit Larry 3 - Sierra logo do not looks round, if aspect ratio set to true

Attachments

• ls3.png
    Filename
    ls3.png
    File size
    16.89 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 267 of 733, by KainXVIII

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Knight of Xentar crash in windowed mode, here is console log

Attachments

• xentar.png
    Filename
    xentar.png
    File size
    19.27 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 269 of 733, by Ant_222

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KainXVIII wrote:

Knight of Xentar crash in windowed mode, here is console log

I failed to reproduce the problem. With what config settings did you start the game and what did you do for it to crash? I see three lines reporting different scaling lines in your log screenshot, the last one being wrong.

Reply 270 of 733, by Ant_222

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KainXVIII wrote:

Leisure Suit Larry 3 - Sierra logo do not looks round, if aspect ratio set to true

I think it is one of those Amiga-oriented titles, such as Lure of the Temptress, which must be played without aspect-ratio correction, because on Amiga 320 x 200 already gives a unity PAR.

Reply 271 of 733, by Ant_222

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KainXVIII wrote:

Also Jazz Jackrabbit has strange behavior in windowed mode with pixel-perfect enabled.

Confirmed. The menu and cutscenes are reported as 320 x 200 with an aspect ratio of 1.2 (correct), whereas in-game as 320 x 199 (!) with an aspect ratio of 1.0. The snag is that even vanilla DOSBox reports the 199-pixel height, which I have tested by taking screenshots with the built-in function (CTRL-F6 on Windows). I don't think it is a problem of my patch...

The two remaining problems are very likely caused by errors in the patch, though.

Reply 272 of 733, by KainXVIII

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ant_222 wrote:
KainXVIII wrote:

I think it is one of those Amiga-oriented titles, such as Lure of the Temptress, which must be played without aspect-ratio correction, because on Amiga 320 x 200 already gives a unity PAR.

Glad that you back 😎 I'll try to reproduce it too (with DOSBox SVN r4006 ECE (with FLAC) by Yesterplay)

Reply 274 of 733, by KainXVIII

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Still same error with latest version of Dosbox SVN in Knights of Xentar

Some dosbox.conf settings that i use

fullscreen=true fulldouble=false fullresolution=desktop windowresolution=original output=surfacepp autolock=true sensitivity=100 […]
Show full quote

fullscreen=true
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=desktop
windowresolution=original
output=surfacepp
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
surfacenp-sharpness=50
surface-collapse-dbl=false

machine=svga_s3

frameskip=0
aspect=true
scaler=none

Attachments

• xent.jpg
    Filename
    xent.jpg
    File size
    161.56 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 276 of 733, by KainXVIII

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ant_222 wrote:
KainXVIII wrote:

Still same error with latest version of Dosbox SVN in Knights of Xentar

Does it appear right after you launch the game?

Only after i switch to windowed mode (alt+enter)

Reply 277 of 733, by Ant_222

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since I still can't reproduce the error will you please tell me whether you enter the pass code and start the game before switching to windowed mode? Does the error remain with

windowresolution=desktop

Reply 278 of 733, by Ant_222

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

KainXVIII, I have added some logging to see whence the error comes. Could you please reproduce the problem with the attached build and post again the contents of the log window? It being an incomplete build, make sure not to overwrite your current executable.

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox.exe
    File size
    3.52 MiB
    Downloads
    84 downloads
    File license

Reply 279 of 733, by KainXVIII

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ant_222 wrote:
Since I still can't reproduce the error will you please tell me whether you enter the pass code and start the game before switch […]
Show full quote

Since I still can't reproduce the error will you please tell me whether you enter the pass code and start the game before switching to windowed mode? Does the error remain with

windowresolution=desktop

Even on very first Megatech title screen games crash if i switch to windowed mode.
UPD - with windowresolution=desktop its not!

Here is log with windowresolution=original

log.jpg
Filename
log.jpg
File size
184.31 KiB
Views
File license

And here is with windowresolution=desktop (maybe it helps)

log1.jpg
Filename
log1.jpg
File size
123.75 KiB
Views
File license