Common searches

Reply 300 of 733, by KainXVIII

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ant_222 wrote:
KainXVIII wrote:

Something new?

Yes, it looks as though DOSBox's VGA emulator gives me this PAR of 1.169, and my patch has nothing to do with it. I will add the same logging to a clean SVN version and check again, ok? If my suspicions be confirmed, I shall ask the core developers.

Ok.

Reply 302 of 733, by Great Dragon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does this build support pixel shaders?
It doesn't support Direct3D for I can't use shaders from yhkwong (Daum) build. But what about OpenGL?
Can I use these https://github.com/duganchen/dosbox_shaders or libretro GLSL?

Reply 303 of 733, by KainXVIII

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ant_222 wrote:

Attached is the SVN version with logging.

1.200 for Norton Commander
1.169 for Knights of Xentar

Attachments

• log1.png
    Filename
    log1.png
    File size
    12.98 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 304 of 733, by Ant_222

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Great Dragon wrote:

Does this build support pixel shaders?
It doesn't support Direct3D for I can't use shaders from yhkwong (Daum) build. But what about OpenGL?
Can I use these https://github.com/duganchen/dosbox_shaders or libretro GLSL?

My patch has nothing to do with any of this. It only adds a software-processing layer to the surface output, which upscales the image horizontally and vertically by integer factors so as to preserve the original pixels as ideally sharp squares or rectangles, depending of the aspect ratio. Edit: There is also a nearest-neighbor mode (surfacenb) and a "near-perfect" mode (surfacenp), which emulates the oversample-downscale technique but is somewhat slow.

Last edited by Ant_222 on 2017-02-06, 09:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 307 of 733, by Sarcophagist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just tried this patch for the first time. Most games look excellent. The only exception so far being Jazz Jackrabbit. For some weird reason it sports a 320x199 resolution during gameplay, which 1.02 aspect ratio tricks DosBox into 5x5 scaling instead of 4x5.

Reply 308 of 733, by Ant_222

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sarcophagist wrote:

I just tried this patch for the first time. Most games look excellent.

My pleasure!

The only exception so far being Jazz Jackrabbit. For some weird reason it sports a 320x199 resolution during gameplay, which 1.02 aspect ratio tricks DosBox into 5x5 scaling instead of 4x5.

Confirmed in this post.
Edit: To clarify—testing has showed that the strange resolution and aspect ratio are calculated by the standard DOSBox graphics engine, and then passed to the software scaler implemented in the patch.

Last edited by Ant_222 on 2017-04-02, 14:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 310 of 733, by KainXVIII

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ravenloft: Stone Prophet testing (sadly, scaling is not so great with 1080p monitor and 320x400 game resolution, in result = game screen is somewhat tiny)

prophet1.png
Filename
prophet1.png
File size
312.22 KiB
Views
File license

And this is how game looks with surface-collapse-dbl=true, just for fun 😎 ("lowres", unreadable font, but game screen scaled much better)

Prophet.png
Filename
Prophet.png
File size
261.56 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 312 of 733, by Ant_222

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KainXVIII wrote:

And this is how game looks with surface-collapse-dbl=true, just for fun :cool: ("lowres", unreadable font, but game screen scaled much better)

It may be either that the game cannot work with surface-collapse-dbl (its pixel rows are not always doubled) or a bug in my patch. I will check it.

Also, is it me or fade to black effects with surfacenp has no more slowdowns?? At least in VGA games..

I don't think I have managed to improve the performance of surfacenp.

Reply 313 of 733, by KainXVIII

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ant_222 wrote:
KainXVIII wrote:

I don't think I have managed to improve the performance of surfacenp.

Yeah, maybe some software update on my side (nvidia drivers, windows 10 creator's update...)

Reply 315 of 733, by KainXVIII

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ant_222 wrote:
Can you post the same screenshot with surfacepp at […]
Show full quote

Can you post the same screenshot with surfacepp at

windowresolution=original

and with no aspect correction?

Fullscreen

prophet2.png
Filename
prophet2.png
File size
237.78 KiB
Views
File license

Windowed

prophet3.png
Filename
prophet3.png
File size
256.03 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 317 of 733, by KainXVIII

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ant_222 wrote:

I see. This game (at least its menu) cannot work with surface-collapse-dbl because its actual vertical resolution is 400 pixels, not 200.

So nothing wrong with it? =)

Reply 318 of 733, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ant_222 could be so kind and briefly explain how this project works? The gist of it?

My understanding and experiments led to 1600 x 1200 being the pixel perfect resolution to display 320 x 200 games in 4:3 aspect ratio. I'm just wondering what I'm missing here.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 319 of 733, by Ant_222

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

My understanding and experiments led to 1600 x 1200 being the pixel perfect resolution to display 320 x 200 games in 4:3 aspect ratio. I'm just wondering what I'm missing here.

That is correct for 320 x 200 games with the 5:6 pixel aspect raio. My patch should give this result with a 1600 x 1200 monitor. If it does not, post the game, a screenshot, and the relevant fragment of the config file.