VOGONS

HQ3x

Topic actions

First post, by Karpo_007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is hq3x graphic filter ever going to be supported by Dosbox? Scummvm supports it, and it really makes low resolution games look good.

Reply 5 of 41, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Perhaps someday it's an incredible cpu hog though

I didn't intend to annouce this right now, since I hate to announce unfinished work, but I am working on hq2x for dosbox. My intention is to donate a fast scaler to my favourite emulator 😀

Since my target platform is my p2/333 laptop (civ1 and even early protected-mode games are playable, thanks to dynamic CPU), it needs to be fast, so I optimized it "a bit". The plain C code is done so far, it's about 3 times as fast as scale2x (tested against the standalone C version). On later CPUs, the optimizations should have an even greater effect, as they are especially cache- and pipeline-friendly. I can't check that, however, due to a shortage of p4 machines.

Currently I am working on an MMX version, which could give an additional 2x to 4x speedup for intel users (estimated given the current progress).

The first patch should be available in around 1-4 weeks, as time permits. At first, it might be limited to some specific color depth(s), we'll see. I'll keep you updated somewhere here.

CU
Moe

P.S.: No, I will not do the same to hq3x. It's unlikely I will ever touch that, as the optimizations will probably not be possible with it. hq3x would be much slower than hq2x, and compared to hq2x, there's not that much visual gain, IMHO - it's not worth it.

Reply 9 of 41, by Zorbid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

I agree Smart Filtering should be hardcoded in current accelerators chipsets, like nVIDIA or ATi. It's impressive and way much better than Bilinear or Trilinear filters. 😎

Provided that the textures are optimised for Smart Filtering. If you look at the texture unflitred, you'll notice that the black lines are not "anti-aliased" to begin with...

Texture used in games are smoother than this, even unfiltred. Since Smart filternig uses the contrast to decide wether it will vetorise or bilienar filter, it wouldn't look as nice as in the demo.

Reply 11 of 41, by laststop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
`Moe` wrote:

... it needs to be fast, so I optimized it "a bit". The plain C code is done so far...

...Currently I am working on an MMX version...

Why reinvent the wheel?
Go to http://www.hiend3d.com/hq2x.html page, and scroll all the way down.

You'll see the link to "Optimized Source code (100% asm)".
It's super-fast MMX-based code.

Reply 12 of 41, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Why reinvent the wheel? Go to http://www.hiend3d.com/hq2x.html page, and scroll all the way down. You'll see the link to "Op […]
Show full quote

Why reinvent the wheel?
Go to http://www.hiend3d.com/hq2x.html page, and scroll all the way down.

You'll see the link to "Optimized Source code (100% asm)".
It's super-fast MMX-based code.

See, I've taken a different approach to get even faster code. First of all, I optimized the algorithm itself, so even the platform-independent C code is real fast.

Secondly, I've taken great care to make the code friendly to modern CPUs with their big pipelines, yet also effective on old CPUs (see my personal target system) with their small caches. I don't know if this is the case with the generic ASM code - though I admit I didn't look at it. It's a kind of contest for myself: when done, I intend to look at the released asm code and see what I have overlooked, and perhaps learn another trick or two - oh joys of open source.

Third, to be used in DosBox, the algorithm doesn't need to be generic - DosBox has some limitations (e.g., image size, bit depth of the palette) which enabled me to optimize more than a generic implementation could be optimized.

Reply 13 of 41, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, here it is:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func … 551&atid=467234

I've finished a first, experimental version of hq2x for dosbox. It still has a fair number of limitations, and I need to do some serious profiling to get the optimal cache-vs-cpu usage. Moreover, it is only tested on GCC. The mmx code is disabled, the mmx-less variant is (for now) faster.

Usage:

patch, recompile (with maximum optimizations!), set scaler=hq2x. Use Ctrl-F3/Ctrl-F4 to turn the hq2x trigger value up and down.

Limitation: Only works in 16 or 32 bit BGR mode (this includes opengl, but not overlay - on the todo).

Speed is roughly like advmame2x, but there are still some sound-related issues (due to cache trashing, it seems).

Stay tuned for more, and much fun while drooling over the quality.

Reply 16 of 41, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oops. SF seems to have swallowed the diff. I re-uploaded it to the tracker page.

Here are two screenshots from X-Com with hq2x scaler.

Note that the triger value is configurable, thus the same screen can look quite a bit different - this is a trigger value of around 16, I usually run ufo at 65 - it depends on the game and your preference what looks best.

Attachments

• snap0005.png
    Filename
    snap0005.png
    File size
    13.62 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    a combat scene
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • snap0004-hq2x.png
    Filename
    snap0004-hq2x.png
    File size
    62.87 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    some text and buttons (hq2x)
    File license
  • snap0004.png
    Filename
    snap0004.png
    File size
    7.94 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    some text and buttons (normal)
    File license
  • snap0005-hq2x.png
    Filename
    snap0005-hq2x.png
    File size
    136.27 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    combat scene with lots of straight edges and smooth areas, also showing the limits of hq2x's smartness
    File license

Reply 17 of 41, by Alkarion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm messing here with something I really don't know anything about, so don't take this to serious. When I apply the patch to yesterday's CVS I get undefined references in render.cpp to, e.g. Hq2x_colourTrigger. Patching produces no errors so it might be something wrong in the code.

Reply 18 of 41, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm messing here with something I really don't know anything about, so don't take this to serious. When I apply the patch to yesterday's CVS I get undefined references in render.cpp to, e.g. Hq2x_colourTrigger. Patching produces no errors so it might be something wrong in the code.

You have to rerun automake & co., because the diff does not patch Makefile.in where needed. I myself needed to install automake-1.6, autoconf-2.53 and then run ./autogen.sh. Strangely, automake-1.5 screwed something up for me.

Reply 19 of 41, by Alkarion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ha! After downloading and compilgin automake, autconf and obtaining the png and zlib library everything compiles nicely. Now that I can compile, all that's left is to learn C++ 😉

I know you already dismissed HQ3x but I speculated that this might have to do something with two being even and three being odd so some things cannot be transferred easily from HQ2x to HQ3x. But what about HQ4x, would it be easier or is there a chance you are going to implement it? Would look nice on my 1400*1050 notebook display. Though perhaps unplayably slow...