VOGONS

First post, by MarkAss

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I figured out an easy way to load games with Dosbox, and wish to share it.
FYI - This guide is for windows 7.

I created an option in the right-click dropdown menu for .bat files to run with Dosbox.
Then I create a .bat file in the dos game folder that states the executable file name, and if needed, mount -t cdrom
Then I create a shortcut of the batch file and place it in my Games folder.
Right click .bat file, run with Dosbox. good to go!

=========================================================================================================
HOW TO UPDATE REGISTRY WINDOWS 7
=========================================================================================================

Open notepad,
Paste the following;

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\batfile\shell\Dosbox]
@="Emulate with Dosbox"
"Icon"=hex(2):43,00,3a,00,5c,00,50,00,72,00,6f,00,67,00,72,00,61,00,6d,00,20,\
00,46,00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,73,00,5c,00,44,00,4f,00,53,00,42,00,6f,00,78,00,\
2d,00,30,00,2e,00,37,00,34,00,5c,00,44,00,6f,00,73,00,62,00,6f,00,78,00,2e,\
00,69,00,63,00,6f,00,00,00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\batfile\shell\Dosbox\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\DOSBox-0.74\\DOSBox.exe\" \"%1\""

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have a different version of Dosbox, simply replace the path in the last line with the location of Dosbox on your PC

Save as "all file types" and "Something.reg"
Right click new file, merge with registry

Your done, you can now right click .bat files with an option to run with Dosbox

Attachments

• merge.png
    Filename
    merge.png
    File size
    319.49 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Add Values to registry
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • SUPERREGDOSBOXACTION.png
    Filename
    SUPERREGDOSBOXACTION.png
    File size
    89.62 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Right Click Menu
    File license
  • withcdrom.png
    Filename
    withcdrom.png
    File size
    71.24 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Batch file with Cd-Rom enabled
    File license
  • SUPERREGDOSBOXIcons.png
    Filename
    SUPERREGDOSBOXIcons.png
    File size
    215.38 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Since they're shortcuts, it's easy to customize icons.
    Search Google images, save file, convert with http://image.online-convert.com/convert-to-ico
    File license
Last edited by MarkAss on 2016-07-30, 02:45. Edited 5 times in total.

Reply 1 of 13, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is not new, but even if would use it, I prefer the installer that makes no registry entries. Just offering a reg file should be enough for those that want it.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 13, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are a number of ways that a registry entry or a reg file could be dynamically generated. Many prefer installers with a light touch that doesn't stomp all over the registry. Heavy handed installers are why many simply prefer a plain zip. As it is, the official installer makes no reg entries. The only thing that you will find in the registry from DOSBox is just what Windows itself adds from using it such as MRU entries.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 13, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
collector wrote:

Heavy handed installers are why many simply prefer a plain zip.

Heck yes. dosbox installer is the perfect kind of an installer for me, only the necessary +a couple of icons to simplify things for those seeking one.

Reply 7 of 13, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have DOSBox in the Send to menu instead. Works well enough and I don't need to touch the registry or potentially risk the magical file association for exes/bats/coms

As for program shortcuts they usually point to dosbox.exe and then the exe afterward (with an appropiate -conf in certain cases). No need to right click to emulate when you can't run it natively anyway

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 13, by MarkAss

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I thought you meant there was and alternate program called "Dosbox Installer" to create shortcuts, or auto start Dosbox programs. I obviously have Dosbox installed with the install path above. (C:\\Program Files\\DOSBox-0.74\\DOSBox.exe).

Personally, I have no issues with editing my registry. I have had this same computer for about 8 years now, and have made quite a few modifications to registry. Never an issue with windows, or file association and have only formatted once, (to upgrade to Window 7).
It's funny how people automatically get scared at the mention of the word registry, it's really not that complicated.

Reply 9 of 13, by lightmaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MarkAss wrote:

It's funny how people automatically get scared at the mention of the word registry, it's really not that complicated.

"Ignorance is the mother of suffering."

25071588525_735097840e_b.jpg

Reply 10 of 13, by MarkAss

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Too true.

My old way of loading Dosbox games never used the registry.
I opened the Dosbox config file, and under the auto execute section I would add;

mount t c:\dosboxbats
t:\
cls
dir /w

Then in the folder C:\dosboxbats I made batch files with the games name to auto mount and run the games.

mount d d:\ -t cdrom
mount c C:\dosboxgames\game
game.exe

=========================================================

Thanks for the discussion guys, and thanks for Dosbox

Reply 11 of 13, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You misunderstand. I doubt that anyone in this thread is afraid working with the registry, but of having installers making unwanted and unknown changes to the Registry. They simply want to have control over their systems. You don't even know what changes an installer makes unless you track it. Unneeded crap in the registry slows the system down and is part of the debris that eventually drags the whole system down to the point of needing have to do a clean reinstall of Windows. There is a reason that modern best practices is for programs to save their settings in an XML in the user space rather than the registry. This can be controlled by being careful with what and how things are installed on the system. It is why outside of entries required by the games themselves my installers only adds uninstall information that will be removed when uninstalled.

Reply 13 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MarkAss wrote:
Too true. […]
Show full quote

Too true.

My old way of loading Dosbox games never used the registry.
I opened the Dosbox config file, and under the auto execute section I would add;

mount t c:\dosboxbats
t:\
cls
dir /w

Then in the folder C:\dosboxbats I made batch files with the games name to auto mount and run the games.

mount d d:\ -t cdrom
mount c C:\dosboxgames\game
game.exe

You're aware that commands in DOSBox can be entered on the command line using the "-c" switch, right? You can even use it in shortcuts, complete with custom icons.