VOGONS

First post, by miargep

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone,
I have written a patch against dosbox-cvs dated from 2004/03/31. I probably won't fiddle with it any longer, but if you want to play with this here is the patch attached. I do not have a clue if it compiles with windows.
I don't know if it will patch the current cvs version. Since it modifies several files, the chances are high that you will have to modify something to have it working.
Basically, all the patch does is to save every global variable from the most important files to one file. These files concern cpu (except dynamicX86), paging, iohandling, memory and pic. I also had to mess with several other files (mainly to be able to resolve/reload handlers).
Since the patch does not save vga/audio/whatever state, restoring only works if the dos program is in the same mode when you suspended dosbox. To suspend dosbox, press + on the keypad. This creates a file "/tmp/dosbox.suspend". There is not (yet) a way to suspend to a different file. To restore, press the / (divide) on the keypad.
The patch allowed me to save/reload game states for dos games that don't allow saving themselves. It is not stable. Saving always produces a dosbox.state file, but restoring freezes dosbox once in a while (maybe every 10th attempt). probably this is due to a inconsistency in the state of dosbox-hardware/game-software, which the patch does not save.
have fun with it,
miargep

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox-cvs-20040331-suspend.diff
    File size
    55.59 KiB
    Downloads
    234 downloads
    File comment
    suspend/restore patch against anonymous cvs of 20040331
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 3, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

It's an emulator for crying out load. It is software for G. sake. Everything is *possible* It is just a matter of decide *who* should make it possible.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions