VOGONS

First post, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just got around to updating my SVN build of DOSBox and MIDI seems to be broken for several games, yet works just fine in others. For some reason the games listed below all fall back to PC Speaker for music, whether I select General MIDI or MT32 (munt.)

Altered Destiny
Elvira - Mistress of the Dark
Elvira 2 - The Jaws of Cerberus
Waxworks

I haven't tested all my games, but the others I have tested seem to work just fine. For these games, setting to SoundBlaster or Adlib work fine, it's just the MIDI choices that fall back to PC Speaker. I've tried delayed sysex and switching to uart without any luck. Revert back to my last build (3900, yes it's been a while,) and they start working just fine again. Right now, I'm going through the change history to see if I can find something, but I'm not really that good of a programmer 🙁

Feeding Dragon

Reply 1 of 2, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Tried Altered Destiny and Waxworks with current source and their MIDI options are working okay for me with default settings. Since you didn't mention it, are you using the default cycles=auto setting? I ask because MPU detection stuff can be sensitive to timing.

Reply 2 of 2, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, it's become a little more sensitive is all. I had to drop my game cycles for all those games by 1000 each to get MIDI working again. I prefer not to use auto, I like to specify exactly what speed each game will get. There are exceptions... but not many. Games that actually perform better on auto. I usually only use it when I first install a game, this gives me a ballpark to work around. I believe there was one game, don't remember which one, that actually played better on auto than when I tried setting the cycles manually. Most of the time though, it ends up messing the timing on other things.

I guess something they added (and it turns out I'm working with 3995, not as far behind as I thought,) altered the detection timing a bit. Didn't think of that. Thanks for the help 😀 I'll have to adjust the cycles on those games (and any others I come across.)

Feeding Dragon