VOGONS

First post, by sbsmark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Everyone,

I've been using DoxBox for several years, and am very grateful to everyone who has made DosBox possible.
I am a die hard Wordstar user. My fingers just know all the commands like the best moves in a video game.
I am also a Foxpro developer (dbase II, clipper,....) and still maintain accounting software I wrote in the early 1980s.
I have read all the readme and Wiki resources, but have not seen any conversation on the following issues.
I would appreciate any help to point me in the right direction.

I am using Win10 home version, 64 bit (upgrade was forced upon me-thank you microsoft)
My Acer Laptop has 8 gb of memory

I typcially use Alt-F12 to increase the cycles to 112,000 because I use an old search exe to search all my source code files for a specific text match, and that makes it run much faster.

GOAL One: I would the DosBox screen to be bigger, as my eyes are not as good as they used to be, but do not want to go to full screen. When running my foxpro software in a Windows command window, I can resize options (font and screen size) thru properties and make the window larger. Is there a similar way to increase the size of the DosBox Screen?

PROBLEM ONE:
Scenario: I am editing a source code file with Wordstar in a DosBox window.
In a second window, I am running my application.
When I Alt-Tab from DosBox to the application, I get there just fine.
When I Alt-Tab back to DosBox, running Wordstar 4, a space gets added to my Wordstar document, OR sometimes a repeating space.

To Clarify:
A space is added in my DosBox window, eg in my wordstar file. (See below, it may be a Control I). Sometimes it adds a repeating space to whereever the cursor is, and shoves the remaining text on the line to the right until I press any key to stop the addition of the repeating character. Then I delete all the added spaces, and continue editing my source code.

If I am at a Wordstar Menu and Alt-Tab, it looks like a ^I (control uppercase i), or multiple ^I are being added (like the spaces mentioned above).

PROBLEM TWO:
When I switch between my DosBox window and full screen, all the open windows resize and overlay each other in the upper left corner of my desktop.

I would be grateful for insights on any of these items.

Mark

Reply 1 of 3, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I have improved the alt-tab stuff a while ago in the svn builds. Maybe google for that.

The window/fullscreen size is controlled by the options file (link in the startmenu), an important point to note is that you have to change the output=surface line as well, as otherwise it won't get any bigger.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 3, by Gene Wirchenko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sbsmark wrote:
Hello Everyone, […]
Show full quote

Hello Everyone,

I've been using DoxBox for several years, and am very grateful to everyone who has made DosBox possible.
I am a die hard Wordstar user. My fingers just know all the commands like the best moves in a video game.
I am also a Foxpro developer (dbase II, clipper,....) and still maintain accounting software I wrote in the early 1980s.
I have read all the readme and Wiki resources, but have not seen any conversation on the following issues.
I would appreciate any help to point me in the right direction.

Welcome.

I have been using DOSBox for several years as well. I used to use WordStar and still occasionally do, but my editor now is VDE which still needs DOSBox to run on my Windows 7 system. I am also also a FoxPro developer (Microsoft Visual FoxPro). I do not use DOSBox directly with VFP, but I have VDE and 16-bit utilities that I use in my development.

Note that DOSBox is not really intended for our type of use. DOSBox is use at own risk. That stated, I find it very useful.

I use the DOSBox 0.74 Megabuild as I need printer support. Which version do you use?

Sorry, but I can not help you with your technical issues. I use a fairly bog-standard setup. My big issue is the DOSBox screen not updating after I have switched to different windows. That started happening with Windows 7. With XP, it was fine. Minimising then restoring the DOSBox screen gets it updating again. Other than this silly irritation, I find DOSBox quite reliable.

Are you connected with any of the FoxPro forums? I am on ProFox (leafe.com under Email Lists) and Foxite (foxite.com).

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko