VOGONS

DOSBox ECE (for Windows & Linux)

Topic actions

Reply 1160 of 1550, by PoulpSquad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yep that is right. Now that I think about it, it never worked well, not even back in the days 3Dfx was a hot item.

I've been using this config for 3 1/2 years now without a problem, but when I updated video drivers last month, things began breaking down left and right.

Anyway the only game I own where SLI would have been welcome is not even compatible with it.

Reply 1161 of 1550, by ferropop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So after upgrading to Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon, DOSBox ECE breaks because of FluidSynth.

Fails with: error while loading shared libraries: libfluidsynth.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Hopefully this helps someone: after MUCH searching and experimentation, this package worked:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/eoan/i386/libflu … synth1/1.1.11-4

Cheers,
Ferro

Reply 1162 of 1550, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just popping in to say a huge thank you to Yesterplay80 for keeping up with the ECE branch for many years now.

krcroft CD Audio patch
NukedOPL
PC Speaker

These patches alone makes DOSBox ECE the difinitive "up to date" version of DOSBox compared to official SVN.
I mean really, these patches should have been implemented in the official release a long ass time ago.

It's 2020 and even the low end stuff like Raspberry PI can run NukedOPL etc.. why isn't it implemented yet to the official branch, beats me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 1164 of 1550, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ferropop wrote on 2020-10-23, 02:08:
So after upgrading to Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon, DOSBox ECE breaks because of FluidSynth. […]
Show full quote

So after upgrading to Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon, DOSBox ECE breaks because of FluidSynth.

Fails with: error while loading shared libraries: libfluidsynth.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Hopefully this helps someone: after MUCH searching and experimentation, this package worked:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/eoan/i386/libflu … synth1/1.1.11-4

Cheers,
Ferro

Seems to be the same problem as I reported with Fedora 33 a few weeks ago. Namely that you distro replaced FluidSynth v1 with v2.

Solutions are to either;
- Go back to fluidsynth v1, but that can break other software that may need fluidsynth that came with your distro
- Compile DOSBox ECE yourself against Fluidsynth v2
- Ask for a DOSBox ECE binary compiled against Fluidsynth v2

I encountered the same problem here with DOSBox-X, but a recompile against the newer lib solved it.

Reply 1165 of 1550, by K.A.R.R.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi
i just wanted to report a small bug with dosbox ece.

monkey island enhanced cd version has a problem with cd audio.
audio is playing perfect until u talk to a pirat in the scumm bar.
instead of music u hear only cracks and noise until u leave the bar and the cut scene with le chuck begins.

happens with ece r4390 (haven't tried older ece versions)
with normal svn r4390, staging 0.75.2 and with 0.74-3 it plays without the problem.

Reply 1166 of 1550, by Dagar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
K.A.R.R. wrote on 2020-11-03, 16:23:
hi i just wanted to report a small bug with dosbox ece. […]
Show full quote

hi
i just wanted to report a small bug with dosbox ece.

monkey island enhanced cd version has a problem with cd audio.
audio is playing perfect until u talk to a pirat in the scumm bar.
instead of music u hear only cracks and noise until u leave the bar and the cut scene with le chuck begins.

happens with ece r4390 (haven't tried older ece versions)
with normal svn r4390, staging 0.75.2 and with 0.74-3 it plays without the problem.

It is due to this patch: AUDIO Patch supporting FLAC, Opus, and MP3 audio tracks
AUDIO Patch supporting FLAC, Opus, and MP3 audio tracks

I posted about this a while back encountering CD audio problems with Betrayal at Krondor. You can see the details here:
Re: DOSBox ECE (for Windows & Linux)

To date (4390) ECE still has this problem - where SVN works properly.

Reply 1167 of 1550, by K.A.R.R.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thx for the info
just tested dosbox-x 083.7 and it has the same bug 🙁

guess when u play games from org. cd or from cue/bin images
there is no need for flac and mp3 support for audio tracks...

wonder how compilcated it is to compile a version of dosbox ece or dosbox-x without the patch....

Reply 1168 of 1550, by krcroft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dagar, K.A.R.R - thanks for doing this back-tracking and reporting this issue.

Around this time last year, I transitioned the CDDA work from subversion (layered on top of DOSBox's SVN sources) to git, at which point bugs and enhancements continued publicly on GitHub.

This Monkey Island audio issue was reported in May, https://github.com/dosbox-staging/dosbox-staging/issues/385 and fixed in this pull request: https://github.com/dosbox-staging/dosbox-staging/pull/387. There have been more improvements since then. This isn't a promotion of git or that project and I'm only mentioning it to point to the status of the work.

Yesterplay80 and I both would like ECE using the the most update-to-date CDDA code. I've offered to generate a diff, however I haven't figured out how to separate other dosbox-staging changes from the CDDA-specific changes.

If someone wants to pick this up , the CDDA code is relatively self-contained (src/lib/decoders/*, src/dos/cdrom_image.cpp, src/dos/cdrom.h).

It might (or should) be possible to take the ECE code-base, and then try layering (overwriting) the older CDDA sources with the latest files from the git master branch. If someone wants to try this, I would be happy to help via PM.

Reply 1169 of 1550, by Wengier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

kccroft: Thanks for the link there. I certainly would hope both DOSBox ECE and DOSBox-X to use the latest CDDA code too. But I think the current CDDA changes in Staging are certainly not small - I tried both Staging and ECE approaches in X before indeed. X currently uses the ECE approach for the main CDDA code primarily because physical CDs are not supported in the Staging approach.

In any case, I have already fixed the CD issue with the Monkey Island in this commit for DOSBox-X (https://github.com/joncampbell123/dosbox-x/co … dd2516a042216e6), which will likely apply to ECE too. Tested the said game in X and it seems to work. Thanks for the fix logic!

Reply 1175 of 1550, by 7F20

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
realnc wrote on 2020-11-09, 14:12:

Also, the text at the bottom of the page seems incomplete:

"If you like DOSBox ECE and would like to support further development, feel free to"

It seems text has been cut off at the end?

On my browser, there is a donation button after that text. You may be using a more efficient ad blocker than me.

Who has the ability to change the wiki? Currently, if someone is reading the wiki for info on SVN builds, they will get this link https://blog.yesterplay80.net/dosbox-ece-en/ for ECE.

I suppose it should changed to https://dosboxece.yesterplay.net/

Reply 1176 of 1550, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
krcroft wrote on 2020-11-05, 15:44:

If someone wants to pick this up , the CDDA code is relatively self-contained (src/lib/decoders/*, src/dos/cdrom_image.cpp, src/dos/cdrom.h).

So a DIFF from those files from both the latest SVN and dosbox-staging should come up with a patch rather easily, unless the staging team made other, unrelated changes that affect one of those files. And if the changes don't depend on SDL2.

If I find the time I'll give it a shot and see what comes out of it.

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 1177 of 1550, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
7F20 wrote on 2020-11-09, 16:51:

On my browser, there is a donation button after that text. You may be using a more efficient ad blocker than me.

OK, it's not the ad blocker. It's Privacy Badger. It blocks ko-fi.com because it tries to run javascript. It might be a good idea to host the image for the ko-fi button directly on yesterplay.net and simply link to ko-fi when clicking on it. This would make it safe against privacy/tracking protection methods in recent web browsers.

Reply 1178 of 1550, by %Rits!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm getting weird bugs when trying to use the mapper. I can't seem to make a WASD config for ES: Arena with AD strafing and mod modifiers don't switch the WASD keys to their mapped keys. For example, I set mod 2 + W to equal W, instead I get F. With regards to strafing, for some strange reason I can get that to work with the Q and E keys with or without left ctrl, but A and S refuse to work for anything other than turning. Are multiple binds without a modifier on one key supposed to press them all at once? I'd attach the mapper file, but it didn't seem to be saved anywhere, not even in localappdata. It should be noted, I moved the conf to the local Dosbox ECE folder.

Almost forgot, I want to set tab to minimap, but setting it to M and clearing tab also doesn't work. For some reason, left shift becomes lshift + M, and the original key for the mini map disappears and gets replaced with the travel map.

For original control reference: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Arena:Controls

edit: Apparently it was loading configs from the old Dosbox version that ArenaSetup (https://wiwiki.wiwiland.net/?title=Arena_:_ArenaSetup_EN) installs. Except I'm presented with a new issue. The mapper file gets created, but it doesn't work in-game. I do create it from within Dosbox. The upload form doesn't allow mapper files to be attached, so I just pasted the contents to pastebin, since I couldn't figure out how to get spoiler tags to collapse the warning-baiting wall of text.
https://hastebin.com/ujayebubul.cpp

Reply 1179 of 1550, by %Rits!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm bumping just in case, since it appears that Dosbox ECE is relatively problem-free which meant this would get buried, except I can't get it to load mapper files it creates. Strangely only mapper files from Dosbox 0.74-1 work albeit with broken mods, no joystick settings, and maybe a couple mistranslated binds.