VOGONS

DOSBox ECE (for Windows & Linux)

Topic actions

Reply 1360 of 1550, by 7F20

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Lazar81 wrote on 2021-07-17, 20:17:

Unfortunately nothing changes... Still the black screen/window problem.. 😐 fumbling around with output methods results that it looks like an OpenGL problem. It does not occur with overlay or ddraw. So what's the problem? I really would like to use OpenGL...

What's the resolution of the game you are trying to play? For SHARP shader to work fullscreen, your fullscreen resolution has to be a perfect integer multiple of the game's resolution.

Try first to set the resolution by hand. Instead of desktop, try 1600x1200 for a DOS 320x200 (640x400) VGA game. If the game is 640x480 (later DOS) or anything different, that's obviously not going to work, so you have to do the math. You might end up with black bars around the edges, depending on the resolution.

The other thing to try is set the machine to vgaonly for older titles.

Hope that helps.

Reply 1361 of 1550, by rolloLG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I like in-beween rendering: almost integer scaling but with a VERY LITE (minimal: let's say 0.2/1.0) bilinear...
Unfortunately most bilinear filters in many emulators are way eccessive and a blurry mess, like in the example above.

Last edited by rolloLG on 2021-07-19, 13:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1362 of 1550, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
7F20 wrote on 2021-07-19, 13:19:
What's the resolution of the game you are trying to play? For SHARP shader to work fullscreen, your fullscreen resolution has to […]
Show full quote
Lazar81 wrote on 2021-07-17, 20:17:

Unfortunately nothing changes... Still the black screen/window problem.. 😐 fumbling around with output methods results that it looks like an OpenGL problem. It does not occur with overlay or ddraw. So what's the problem? I really would like to use OpenGL...

What's the resolution of the game you are trying to play? For SHARP shader to work fullscreen, your fullscreen resolution has to be a perfect integer multiple of the game's resolution.

Try first to set the resolution by hand. Instead of desktop, try 1600x1200 for a DOS 320x200 (640x400) VGA game. If the game is 640x480 (later DOS) or anything different, that's obviously not going to work, so you have to do the math. You might end up with black bars around the edges, depending on the resolution.

The other thing to try is set the machine to vgaonly for older titles.

Hope that helps.

That isn't the problem! The scaling of games and the dosbox prompt itself looks as it should. It is something that happens during the process of switching between window and Fullscreen... or the other way round. And it happens not with every output method. Also every output method works window and Fullscreen mode perfectly when it is set as default at startup. But switching back and forth between window and fullscreen does not work properly...

Ryzen 5 2600X - ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming - 32GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Reply 1363 of 1550, by 7F20

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Lazar81 wrote on 2021-07-19, 13:43:

switching back and forth between window and fullscreen does not work properly...

okay. so it's just switching. sounds like a graphics driver compatibility issue to me.

i assume you did a "clean installation" and wiped the old graphics drivers completely and then reinstalled?

Reply 1364 of 1550, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No clean install - just installed the latest Nvidia driver yesterday... I will check this when I'm back at home... At the moment I am at the coast.. enjoying some holiday 😬

Ryzen 5 2600X - ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming - 32GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Reply 1365 of 1550, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rolloLG wrote on 2021-07-12, 10:00:
LOST USB ARCADE JOYSTICK SUPPORT WITH BUILD r4459 […]
Show full quote

LOST USB ARCADE JOYSTICK SUPPORT WITH BUILD r4459

I switched from ECE r4288 to r4459 and lost support for arcade stick "Hori Fight Stick Mini"...
The joystick is still detected: "Using joystick Controller (Fighting Stick mini 4 kai) with 5 axes, 10 buttons and 1 hat." as it did with r4288 but now directions are ignored. Only buttons work.
This is an XInput DPAD for movements... Using XBox controller it works fine, but support for XInput DPAD with the arcade joystick seems gone 🙁
I can just swap the dosbox exe keeping everyhing the same inluding cfg and sdl.dll files but r4459 doesn't like arcade sticks anymore.
CTRL+F1 to redefine key bindings also ignores any directional input from the arcade stick with r4459.

I can confirm the same happens with my Madcatz SFIV Arcade Stick, my Mayflash F500 Arcade Stick and my Logitech F710 gamepad as well. Unfortunately (or thankfully, depending from your point of view 😉) it doesn't work with the regular SVN neither, so the problem seems to come from vanilla DOSBox, so we'll have to wait for Qbix, harekiet and the other developers to fix it.

vorob wrote on 2021-07-17, 20:07:

Guys, i wanna try Pixel Perfect thing on my laptop but i don't get where i can enable it and how to work with it. No readme on DOSBox ECE was found. What should i do? I've got win xp with geforce fx and laptop screen 1600x1200. For example i wanna see doom in pixel perfect mode.

I was expecting some line in config like pixelpefcect = true / false. Why can't it that easy? 😀

Because ECE no longer has a pixel perfect output option, I removed it almost a year and a half ago because its author focused on other DOSBox forks and his patch for ECE stopped working. r4301 was the last version of ECE that still had the patch integrated. Thankfully you can now achieve a similar output via the OpenGL shaders.

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 1367 of 1550, by 7F20

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

AFAIK, the GLSL shader support is dependent on SDL, and in SVN works with SDL 1 and 2. So if your current system supports the OpenGL output from SVN, the my guess is it would still be supported. Performance could be be much worse though, I have heard comments that shaders slow things down on weaker systems.

I also remember 3D games running pretty slow in DB back in the XP days. I'm not sure I would even consider trying to run DB in XP now though. The only point to that I could see is trying to use a specific sound card that is ISA only. But, yeah, maybe there's some reason idk.

Reply 1368 of 1550, by vorob

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KainXVIII wrote on 2021-07-18, 18:33:
Use this https://github.com/tyrells/dosbox-svn-shaders pixellate shader - for fullscreen (with slight blur) pixel_perfect - inte […]
Show full quote
vorob wrote on 2021-07-17, 21:47:

Thanks, it really became sharper, though it's not that dramatically different. And I'm now I question myself, do i really need it? Cause these games were played on CRT and CRT added its own smoothness to the image. So this pixel-perfect stuff is less close to original image that we have back then.

Use this https://github.com/tyrells/dosbox-svn-shaders
pixellate shader - for fullscreen (with slight blur)
pixel_perfect - integer scaler with black bars.

Was trying it on another retro machine with ati x1900, win xp and some old driver like catalyst 8.2, when i set output = opengl / openglnb in my DOSBox ECE r4356 i'm getting black screen. Interesting 😀

Reply 1370 of 1550, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
exofreeze wrote on 2021-06-01, 14:04:

There is a cd emulation error within ECE. We have found it in 3 games recently. The easiest to find example is with The Secret of Monkey Island VGA CD. This issue is confirmed to only exist within the ECE build. It does not exist in other DOSBox forks. I have tested the most recent build (4456) as well as builds going back several years. SVN 4456 does not have the issue, so it is not being inherited from there.

This should be fixed with the latest build r4460, thanks to krcroft!

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 1371 of 1550, by Peter.Mengel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Yesterplay80 wrote on 2021-08-06, 08:34:
exofreeze wrote on 2021-06-01, 14:04:

There is a cd emulation error within ECE. We have found it in 3 games recently. The easiest to find example is with The Secret of Monkey Island VGA CD. This issue is confirmed to only exist within the ECE build. It does not exist in other DOSBox forks. I have tested the most recent build (4456) as well as builds going back several years. SVN 4456 does not have the issue, so it is not being inherited from there.

This should be fixed with the latest build r4460, thanks to krcroft!

Hi is youre website Down? I get a 502 Error and cant find any Download link 😀

Reply 1373 of 1550, by Zaphod Beeblebrox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry to ask, is there a backup link? Page seems to be down.

The Recycling Center Special
ASRock K7VM3 | AMD Sempron 2200+ | 512MB DDR333 | inno3D GeForce FX5200 | Sound Blaster Live! CT4830
"Who wants some Wang?"

Reply 1375 of 1550, by Zaphod Beeblebrox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
aqrit wrote on 2021-08-09, 01:01:
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote on 2021-08-09, 00:08:

Sorry to ask, is there a backup link? Page seems to be down.

direct link:
https://yesterplay.net/dosboxece/download/DOS … 0ECE%20r4460.7z

Thanks!

The Recycling Center Special
ASRock K7VM3 | AMD Sempron 2200+ | 512MB DDR333 | inno3D GeForce FX5200 | Sound Blaster Live! CT4830
"Who wants some Wang?"

Reply 1376 of 1550, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My NAS, where my website is hosted, obviously wasn't reachable for a short time, it should be working again now.

Reply 1377 of 1550, by Deffnator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Lazar81 wrote on 2021-07-19, 13:17:
https://tanalin.com/images/articles/integer-scaling/en/interpolation-bilinear-2x.png […]
Show full quote

interpolation-bilinear-2x.png

A good scaling will always look better... IMO.

i was going to post this right now, if its possible to add Bilinear or Trilinear since they blend perfectly with crt filtering.
plus CRT royale was ported recently for reshade, and its easy to tweak on dosbox, though it has some issues with a few games that makes the mouse cursor freeze.

Also, does ECE supports Thrustmaster T16000M FCS sticks in Mark II FCS mode? recently i tried to play Fleet Defender and Mech 2 and i had some axis issues with it.

Reply 1378 of 1550, by Deffnator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I decided to test ECE with a 3.11 stuff that was made some time ago along with Shadow of the horned rat and a tweaked mix of ECE crt-easymode and reshade denoise and sharpening, with a bit of MPU-401 drivers for SC-55.
oq344OD.png

For the first time in many years im playing SOTHR with no issues at all.

Reply 1379 of 1550, by rolloLG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Yesterplay80 wrote on 2021-07-20, 09:13:
rolloLG wrote on 2021-07-12, 10:00:
LOST USB ARCADE JOYSTICK SUPPORT WITH BUILD r4459 […]
Show full quote

LOST USB ARCADE JOYSTICK SUPPORT WITH BUILD r4459

I switched from ECE r4288 to r4459 and lost support for arcade stick "Hori Fight Stick Mini"...
The joystick is still detected: "Using joystick Controller (Fighting Stick mini 4 kai) with 5 axes, 10 buttons and 1 hat." as it did with r4288 but now directions are ignored. Only buttons work.
This is an XInput DPAD for movements... Using XBox controller it works fine, but support for XInput DPAD with the arcade joystick seems gone 🙁
I can just swap the dosbox exe keeping everyhing the same inluding cfg and sdl.dll files but r4459 doesn't like arcade sticks anymore.
CTRL+F1 to redefine key bindings also ignores any directional input from the arcade stick with r4459.

I can confirm the same happens with my Madcatz SFIV Arcade Stick, my Mayflash F500 Arcade Stick and my Logitech F710 gamepad as well. Unfortunately (or thankfully, depending from your point of view 😉) it doesn't work with the regular SVN neither, so the problem seems to come from vanilla DOSBox, so we'll have to wait for Qbix, harekiet and the other developers to fix it.

r4465 joystick (DPAD) undetected still unfixed... sigh..