VOGONS

DOSBox ECE (for Windows & Linux)

Topic actions

Reply 280 of 1550, by hortas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First of all, thank you Yesterplay! I really like your version of Dosbox and had much fun with it over the past days. The pixelperfect patch is great, as well as the ability to fully use Xinput controllers.

One question in this regard: Is there a way to adjust the deadzone for a joystick (in my case, a Xbox360 wireless controller)? I saw in a seven-year old thread, that someone made a patch which let's you set a "deadzone=%" variable in the dosbox.conf. Is this setting implemented by default in vanilla dosbox or in ECE? Trying out Archimedean Dynasty yesterday in the evening, I felt the analogue stick to be a bit over-sensitive around the center...

Reply 281 of 1550, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So far nothing of sorts is implemented, neither in vanilla nor ECE DOSBox. I'll look into it, maybe I can add this feature if it doesn't break anything (the "patch" is based on 7 year old code, it might not work with newer releases of DOSBox).

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 282 of 1550, by hortas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Yesterplay80 wrote:

So far nothing of sorts is implemented, neither in vanilla nor ECE DOSBox. I'll look into it, maybe I can add this feature if it doesn't break anything (the "patch" is based on 7 year old code, it might not work with newer releases of DOSBox).

At least for me, having a simple deadzone parameter (along with analog sensitivity curves 😉 ) would be a great addition. Maybe you'll stumble upon a simple method to implement this...thanks in advance!

Reply 283 of 1550, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Assuming you were talking about this thread earlier, I implemented the changes Hidden Asbestos made into a current ECE build. Please download the binary here and try it, if it works as you intended, I'll keep the feature in future releases of DOSBox ECE.

Filename
DOSBox.7z
File size
1.63 MiB
Downloads
124 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 284 of 1550, by hortas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Yesterplay80 wrote:

Assuming you were talking about this thread earlier, I implemented the changes Hidden Asbestos made into a current ECE build. Please download the binary here and try it, if it works as you intended, I'll keep the feature in future releases of DOSBox ECE.

Awesome to the Max! It works smoothly and exactly as intended in the original thread:

'deadzone=[1-99]' for an analog deadzone, and 'deadzone=100' for a plain digital behaviour of the stick.

I'll do some further practical tests within the next days and report bugs, if any occur.

And yeah, please keep this patch in ECE! It is - obviously - very useful for analog controllers.

Thanks a lot!
[Gruß aus Leipzig]

Reply 285 of 1550, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Alright, I updated my download page with the new build r4064.2 which contains this patch. Since the changes it makes are minimal and don't interfere with other patches, I'll keep it in DOSBox ECE from now on.

You're welcome and thanks to Hidden Asbestos!

[Gruß aus einem kleinen Nest das eh keiner kennt 😉]

Reply 286 of 1550, by chenke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry, I want to ask a silly question about DosboxECE config:
How to set fluidsynth in dosbox.conf correctly?
I tried this, but failed to load sf2 in a WIN10 notebook:
[midi]
mididevice=fluidsynth
midiconfig=dsound:8MBGMSFX.SF2

Reply 287 of 1550, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chenke wrote:
Sorry, I want to ask a silly question about DosboxECE config: How to set fluidsynth in dosbox.conf correctly? I tried this, but […]
Show full quote

[midi]
mididevice=fluidsynth

The soundfont is specified with fluid.soundfont, not with the midiconfig option, for example like this:

fluid.soundfont=D:\DOSBOX\SF2\SC55.SF2

There is no need to specify Direct Sound in the Windows version of DOSBox, because it is used by default, so in this case just leave the midiconfig option empty.

If you are upgrading from vanilla dosbox and don't see the additional options in the conf-file(s), make sure to rebuild it/them with "config -wc" at the dosbox prompt.

Reply 288 of 1550, by chenke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Yesterplay80 wrote:
The soundfont is specified with fluid.soundfont, not with the midiconfig option, for example like this: […]
Show full quote
chenke wrote:
Sorry, I want to ask a silly question about DosboxECE config: How to set fluidsynth in dosbox.conf correctly? I tried this, but […]
Show full quote

[midi]
mididevice=fluidsynth

The soundfont is specified with fluid.soundfont, not with the midiconfig option, for example like this:

fluid.soundfont=D:\DOSBOX\SF2\SC55.SF2

There is no need to specify Direct Sound in the Windows version of DOSBox, because it is used by default, so in this case just leave the midiconfig option empty.

If you are upgrading from vanilla dosbox and don't see the additional options in the conf-file(s), make sure to rebuild it/them with "config -wc" at the dosbox prompt.

THX! SOLVED!

Reply 289 of 1550, by Delfino Furioso

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi YP80

i've noticed that a new build is up and checked the PATCHES.TXT file for changes

there is no mention of the deadzone patch anymore: have you removed it from your builds?

thank you for this project, btw

Reply 290 of 1550, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

There has been code added to the main line that happens to incorporate a deadzone as well. Different from the patch you are referring to (as it adds more joystick features)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 291 of 1550, by DosDaddy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there a way to change the default aspect ratio ECE will correct a non-square pixel 3:2 image to? The value currently in place seems a bit overkill, effectually leaving you with a 320x267 image when AR-correcting for 320x200, whereas mode 13h on a CRT would have almost always resulted in a 4:3 output back in the day (320x240). Granted, monitors, though they'd circumstantially operate mostly in 4:3 resolutions (square pixel or not, it makes no matter), were often physically built for 5:4, so people who wanted to utilize the totality of their displays ended up manually stretching the customary 4:3 image through the controls offered by the monitor itself, and if that people happened to be graphics designers for a video game, well, you'd get something like Doom, with square pixel textures, non-square pixel textures AR-corrected for 4:3, non-square pixel textures AR-corrected for 4:5 and only God knows what else.

Ideally this setting should be configurable to the satisfaction of the user, but a simple, hard-coded, alternative 4:3 mode would be enough for this dog.

Thanks a lot for this wonderful build 😀

Reply 292 of 1550, by DosDaddy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright, something else I've noticed is this bad, bad tearing that doesn't seem to diminish even with fulldouble activated (this is most notable in smooth scrollers and games with fast-changing scenery like fps' and the like). In fact, it's a very disorderly type of tearing that quite frankly looks as if the picture was just being put together directly in the display buffer without any care whatsoever. Vsync, of course, doesn't help in this case (in fact, forcing it on from the display driver only triggers a massively disrupting stuttering clearly unrelated to the rather meager hiccuping expected from the mismatch arising between the emulated refresh rate and the host's refresh rate), and whether or not this is also an issue for other outputs, that I don't know, but I would totally hate to be forced to give up surfacepp.

Reply 293 of 1550, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Delfino Furioso wrote:

there is no mention of the deadzone patch anymore: have you removed it from your builds?
thank you for this project, btw

What Qbix said above. 😀 And you're welcome!

DosDaddy, your questions might be better placed in Ant222's corresponding thread, as he is the one who made surfacepp possible, he certainly knows better than me. And of course, you're welcome, too! 😀

Reply 295 of 1550, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

FYI: DOSBox ECE r4068.2 now uses mt32emu from the freshly released MUNT 2.3.0.

Reply 297 of 1550, by Da Easy Mitch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
telanus wrote:
Yesterplay80 wrote:

FYI: DOSBox ECE r4068.2 now uses mt32emu from the freshly released MUNT 2.3.0.

any chance for a linux build?

Currently not, I'm afraid, at least not from me.

Reply 299 of 1550, by telanus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ant_222 wrote:

But, as far as I know, Yesterplay80 is providing ready-to-build sources for ECE. Whoever can build vanilla DOSBox on Linux, should be able to build ECE using the same procedure.

the main problem is that the voodoo patch fails on linux last time I tried. I am capable to build both latest svn and dosbox-x