VOGONS

DOSBox ECE (for Windows & Linux)

Topic actions

Reply 740 of 1550, by ReignerDeustcher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
zirkoni wrote:
Rename the conf to dosbox.conf and dosbox will automatically use it when it's in the same folder with the exe. […]
Show full quote
ReignerDeustcher wrote:

i'm just trying dosbox ece but this thing puts the conf file in appdata, how can i do to have it in the same folder than dosbox?

Rename the conf to dosbox.conf and dosbox will automatically use it when it's in the same folder with the exe.

ReignerDeustcher wrote:

because i like to have all my games in different folders with different dosbox configurations

You only need 1 dosbox.exe for that, just use the command line parameters to use different conf-files.
e.g. "C:\Program Files (x86)\DOSBox-0.74-3\DOSBox.exe" -userconf -conf "D:\DOS_C\QUAKE\dosbox-quake.conf"

that's so cool, many thanks man

Reply 742 of 1550, by Pr3tty F1y

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ReignerDeustcher wrote:

i've done it but it doesn't work, dosbox keeps creating a conf in appdata and doesn't use the one in the folder...

This is what the DBGL (http://members.quicknet.nl/blankendaalr/dbgl/) frontend passes as the comand line for launching a game for my setup:

C:\Emulators\DBGL\DOSBox\DOSBox.exe -conf "C:\Emulators\DBGL\DOSBox\dosbox.conf" -conf "C:\Emulators\DBGL\profiles\10.conf"

The first conf file loaded is my base dosbox.conf which are my default settings for dosbox as a whole. The 10.conf is the game-specific profile for entry number #10 in the DBGL database (which corresponds to Maniac Mansion for me as DBGL just sequentially counts up as you add additional games so each game has it's own unique integer profile #). That second conf file, 10.conf, overrides any settings from the base dosbox.conf, but it's not a full blown conf file. So this is what the contents of my 10.conf looks like:

[dosbox]
machine=tandy
captures=..\captures\10
memsize=2

[cpu]
core=full
cputype=386_slow
cycles=3000

[pci]
voodoo=false

[sblaster]
sbtype=none

[speaker]
tandy=on

[dos]
xms=false
ems=false
umb=false

[autoexec]
C:
cd \MM
MANIAC.EXE p
exit

So while my dosbox.conf has all fields defined, these fields listed in 10.conf are only the fields that I changed in the DBGL game template editor. So basically, you can think of that second conf file as a "patch" for the original dosbox.conf file that overrides those specific fields for game-specific settings.

I hope that makes sense.

You can totally do this without DBGL, but DBGL does make it easier.

Reply 743 of 1550, by ReignerDeustcher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Pr3tty F1y wrote:
This is what the DBGL (http://members.quicknet.nl/blankendaalr/dbgl/) frontend passes as the comand line for launching a game fo […]
Show full quote
ReignerDeustcher wrote:

i've done it but it doesn't work, dosbox keeps creating a conf in appdata and doesn't use the one in the folder...

This is what the DBGL (http://members.quicknet.nl/blankendaalr/dbgl/) frontend passes as the comand line for launching a game for my setup:

C:\Emulators\DBGL\DOSBox\DOSBox.exe -conf "C:\Emulators\DBGL\DOSBox\dosbox.conf" -conf "C:\Emulators\DBGL\profiles\10.conf"

The first conf file loaded is my base dosbox.conf which are my default settings for dosbox as a whole. The 10.conf is the game-specific profile for entry number #10 in the DBGL database (which corresponds to Maniac Mansion for me as DBGL just sequentially counts up as you add additional games so each game has it's own unique integer profile #). That second conf file, 10.conf, overrides any settings from the base dosbox.conf, but it's not a full blown conf file. So this is what the contents of my 10.conf looks like:

[dosbox]
machine=tandy
captures=..\captures\10
memsize=2

[cpu]
core=full
cputype=386_slow
cycles=3000

[pci]
voodoo=false

[sblaster]
sbtype=none

[speaker]
tandy=on

[dos]
xms=false
ems=false
umb=false

[autoexec]
C:
cd \MM
MANIAC.EXE p
exit

So while my dosbox.conf has all fields defined, these fields listed in 10.conf are only the fields that I changed in the DBGL game template editor. So basically, you can think of that second conf file as a "patch" for the original dosbox.conf file that overrides those specific fields for game-specific settings.

I hope that makes sense.

You can totally do this without DBGL, but DBGL does make it easier.

but i don't want to use that dbgl, i don't like it, also it doesn't work, keeps asking for java when i already have installed it

Reply 744 of 1550, by zirkoni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ReignerDeustcher wrote:

That's what the -userconf parameter should do except that the -conf parameter should load the second conf-file.
Without knowing exactly what you've done, what's in your conf-file(s) its difficult to know what might be wrong with your setup.

https://youtube.com/@zirkoni42

Reply 745 of 1550, by ReignerDeustcher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
zirkoni wrote:
ReignerDeustcher wrote:

That's what the -userconf parameter should do except that the -conf parameter should load the second conf-file.
Without knowing exactly what you've done, what's in your conf-file(s) its difficult to know what might be wrong with your setup.

i've put this in the conf of appdata:

"C:\Users\Matias\AppData\Local\DOSBox" -userconf -conf "C:\Users\Matias\Downloads\DOSBox ECE r4259\dosbox-war2.conf"

and says ''illegal command'' when dosbox start

i want to have all it like the old dosbox, each game in his own folder with his own conf, this is really annoying

Reply 746 of 1550, by zirkoni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wut? "Put in the conf of appdata", what does that mean? You added that text in the conf-file itself?
You're supposed to pass the arguments to DOSBox.exe. Make a new shortcut for DOSBox.exe or create a batch script.

https://youtube.com/@zirkoni42

Reply 747 of 1550, by Kisai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ReignerDeustcher wrote:

It does that because you're running the dosbox.exe itself.

Do it this way:
image.png

Note the "start in"

Reply 748 of 1550, by ReignerDeustcher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kisai wrote:
It does that because you're running the dosbox.exe itself. […]
Show full quote
ReignerDeustcher wrote:

It does that because you're running the dosbox.exe itself.

Do it this way:
image.png

Note the "start in"

many thanks, that was i was looking for

Reply 750 of 1550, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

do you really need dosbox to be potentially faster ? (if you are already on a 64 bit windows OS, then your pc is probably already quite fast)
It's mostly the linux and mac builds that were suffering.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 751 of 1550, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Firtasik wrote:

Any chance for 64-bit builds? 😎

For the time being, there won't ANY new builds at all, because the voodoo emulation patch relied on a function (?) called CPU_Core_Dyn_X86_RestoreDHFPUState() that was omitted completely by the new 64 Bit support. I'll wait if someone can come up with an update or replacement for the patch, if not I'll have to think about the future of ECE...

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 753 of 1550, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jmarsh wrote:

You could just add them back and use the stub versions for 64-bit.

I don't really know what you're talking about, sorry. 😀 I'm afraid I have no idea of programming at all. 😢

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 755 of 1550, by Ferrari27

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone, this is a bit strange, but the location that the console says my conf file is located doesn't seem to exist. Am I supposed to just copy a 0.74 file to get this working or is there something I'm missing here? Even if I search my drive for dosbox-ece.conf nothing shows up. Am I supposed to just copy and paste a 0,74 file? Cheers guys

Reply 756 of 1550, by Ferrari27

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ferrari27 wrote:

Hi everyone, this is a bit strange, but the location that the console says my conf file is located doesn't seem to exist. Am I supposed to just copy a 0.74 file to get this working or is there something I'm missing here? Even if I search my drive for dosbox-ece.conf nothing shows up. Am I supposed to just copy and paste a 0,74 file? Cheers guys

Disregard, after re reading the readme file I found the solution:

-writeconf filelocation
Write the current configuration settings to a file in a specified location.
"filelocation" is located on the local drive, not a mounted drive in DOSBox.
The configuration file controls various settings of DOSBox:
the amount of emulated memory, the emulated sound cards and many more
things. It allows access to AUTOEXEC.BAT as well.
See Section 13: "The configuration (options) file" for more information.

Examples:
1. To create a configuration file in your c:\dosgames directory:
config -writeconf c:\dosgames\dosbox.conf

Thanks

Reply 757 of 1550, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay, I had to adjust some other patches after applying the "new" 3Dfx patch from kjliew, but I managed to get the windows version working again. I still have to get openglide into my Linux VM so I can try to compile the code there, too. In the meantime, it'd be nice if someone could give me some feedback if and how the new windows version (r4267) works, especially with the two 3Dfx emulation options!

Reply 758 of 1550, by Firtasik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm currently testing this Windows build: x64 [r4265] + kjliew's 3dfx patch + krcroft's audio patch + x64 Glide from dgVoodoo 2.62.1.

Some tweaking in dgVoodoo.conf and 3dfx versions of Tomb Raider and Extreme Assault (demo) seem to work fine. 😀

11 1 111 11 1 1 1 1 1 11 1 1 111 1 111 1 1 1 1 111