Topic actions

Reply 820 of 1550, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
realnc wrote:

Does ECE use the latest dosbox SVN?

Yes, that's why I keep the same numbering as the SVN, so you can always tell which revision the build is based on.

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 821 of 1550, by Diduz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
realnc wrote:
Diduz wrote:

There's an audio bug in the last r4279 Windows Build. Popping digital sounds in Prince of Persia. I usually crank sound frequency up to 49716 to get the best results in OPL emulation, but I don't think this is the cause of the issue, because I've always done that and there was no problem at all before r4279. Everything worked fine in the previous build (I think it was r4276).

Does ECE use the latest dosbox SVN? If yes, then I think this is due to:

Fix for clicking sound in Dreamweb in latest SVN?

I see. Thanks! 😀

Reply 822 of 1550, by bsmith1702

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Diduz wrote:
realnc wrote:
Diduz wrote:

There's an audio bug in the last r4279 Windows Build. Popping digital sounds in Prince of Persia. I usually crank sound frequency up to 49716 to get the best results in OPL emulation, but I don't think this is the cause of the issue, because I've always done that and there was no problem at all before r4279. Everything worked fine in the previous build (I think it was r4276).

Does ECE use the latest dosbox SVN? If yes, then I think this is due to:

Fix for clicking sound in Dreamweb in latest SVN?

I see. Thanks! 😀

I've noticed the sample problem with a couple of other games: Wing Commander Privateer, both Ultima Underworlds. Star Trek Judgment Rites seems to lock up now. All of these are fine with r4276.

Reply 825 of 1550, by rolloLG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Where can I find a guide on the new options added by the ECE version? Official site has no info and looking around can't find them.
In particular I'd like to know how to swap stereo channels and set vsync with a .BAT file to launch some games (e.g. AlbionCD has inverted stereo) using something like:
config -set vsync=true swapstereo=true

Reply 826 of 1550, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is no new option to swap stereo in ECE. And in general, all available options are listed in the config file. That's where you can specify specific parameters for a game, as well.

And the manual contains a list of available command line parameters: https://www.dosbox.com/DOSBoxManual.html#Parameters

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 827 of 1550, by rolloLG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Yesterplay80 wrote:

There is no new option to swap stereo in ECE. And in general, all available options are listed in the config file. That's where you can specify specific parameters for a game, as well.

And the manual contains a list of available command line parameters: https://www.dosbox.com/DOSBoxManual.html#Parameters

No swapstereo? Mmmh, then I have to use something else because a pair of games I play (like Albion) have inverted stereo issue.
Can't be added together with vsync?

EDIT: it seems DOSBox-X has vsync and swapstereo special options.

Last edited by rolloLG on 2019-11-12, 03:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 828 of 1550, by krcroft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rolloLG wrote:

... a pair of games I play (like Albion) have inverted stereo issue.

Interesting; what other games are bugged like this? I wonder if patches or community-created modifications exist to fix them?

Reply 829 of 1550, by KainXVIII

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
krcroft wrote:
rolloLG wrote:

Interesting; what other games are bugged like this? I wonder if patches or community-created modifications exist to fix them?

Fade to Black (afaik)

Reply 830 of 1550, by rolloLG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
krcroft wrote:
rolloLG wrote:

From a quick look:

Albion
Fade to Black
Magic Carpet 2
System Shock (sshock)
Redguard
Archimedean Dynasty
GTA
X-COM Apocalypse
Gene-Wars

There was a discussion already here for the reversed stereo sound issue Invert Left/Right Audio Channels Stereo Sound?
It's really required BY DEFAULT in DOSBox IMHO, so that users can set up simple .BAT files to run the games with fixed stereo and restore default settings on quit. Never understood why this has not been considered in the stock DOSBox and covered only by hacks and forks.

Reply 831 of 1550, by Pr3tty F1y

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I searched Vogons and I saw this mentioned but I didn't see a solution.

I'm currently using a Sony DualShock3 with MotionInJoy drivers with Better DS3 to manage it for my input in DOSBox ECE. It's worked great for most things, but it seems like DOSBox can't see all the axes and I was wondering if there was a work around as I would like to make a customer input map for Descent so I can use my left stick as usual X and Y but use the right stick as the hat. Then I'd map my four buttons to the L1/R1/L2/R2 triggers using the FCS joystick setting.

However, it seems that my Y axis on the DS3 is probably mapped to the 7th axis on the controller and it seems that DOSBox tops off at 6 axes (using 0 to 5, so my right stick's Y axis would be seen a 6 if detected).

This is how windows control panel sees my game controller config, but I wasn't sure if this was a DOSBox issue or something with SDL.

My L2/R2 analogue triggers are mapped to the Z/Z rotation half-axes. I don't map the motion controls of the DS3 as they just interfere too much with applications. DOSBox picks up on the X rotation axis as my X axis on the DS3's right stick but I get nothing on the Y rotation axis (leading me to believe that DOSBox just doesn't see it):

Image1.png

This setup above works perfectly fine in MAME, PCSX2, and x360ce (for anything that behaves better with Xinput) and all axes are recognized. It's just DOSBox that's being a thorn in my side. Anyone have any thoughts?

I know that there are Descent remakes, but I would really like to run it in DOSBox.

Reply 832 of 1550, by rolloLG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Pr3tty F1y wrote:
I searched Vogons and I saw this mentioned but I didn't see a solution. […]
Show full quote

I searched Vogons and I saw this mentioned but I didn't see a solution.

I'm currently using a Sony DualShock3 with MotionInJoy drivers with Better DS3 to manage it for my input in DOSBox ECE. It's worked great for most things, but it seems like DOSBox can't see all the axes and I was wondering if there was a work around as I would like to make a customer input map for Descent so I can use my left stick as usual X and Y but use the right stick as the hat. Then I'd map my four buttons to the L1/R1/L2/R2 triggers using the FCS joystick setting.

However, it seems that my Y axis on the DS3 is probably mapped to the 7th axis on the controller and it seems that DOSBox tops off at 6 axes (using 0 to 5, so my right stick's Y axis would be seen a 6 if detected).

This is how windows control panel sees my game controller config, but I wasn't sure if this was a DOSBox issue or something with SDL.

My L2/R2 analogue triggers are mapped to the Z/Z rotation half-axes. I don't map the motion controls of the DS3 as they just interfere too much with applications. DOSBox picks up on the X rotation axis as my X axis on the DS3's right stick but I get nothing on the Y rotation axis (leading me to believe that DOSBox just doesn't see it):

Image1.png

This setup above works perfectly fine in MAME, PCSX2, and x360ce (for anything that behaves better with Xinput) and all axes are recognized. It's just DOSBox that's being a thorn in my side. Anyone have any thoughts?

I know that there are Descent remakes, but I would really like to run it in DOSBox.

See here if helps: [SOLVED] Hori Fighting Stick mini incompatible with DOSBox?

Reply 833 of 1550, by dreamer_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@rolloLG I don't know if you're interested in such solution, but if you're using Linux, you can use Steam + Boxtron + any DOSBox (official or fork). This way you can use Steam to configure your controller to behave exactly the way you want - including using virtual keyboard to input text when playing on couch using controller, changing dead-zones, precisely adjusting mouse emulation, all sorts of things 😀

| ← Ceci n'est pas une pipe
dosbox-staging

Reply 834 of 1550, by rolloLG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dreamer_ wrote:

@rolloLG I don't know if you're interested in such solution, but if you're using Linux, you can use Steam + Boxtron + any DOSBox (official or fork). This way you can use Steam to configure your controller to behave exactly the way you want - including using virtual keyboard to input text when playing on couch using controller, changing dead-zones, precisely adjusting mouse emulation, all sorts of things 😀

Thanks, it's solved anyway for me with Hori Fighting Stick Mini 😉

Reply 835 of 1550, by rolloLG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rolloLG wrote:
Yesterplay80 wrote:

Would be a must-have in the ECE version since more than 1-2 titles are affected, and as far as I can understand stock DOSBox unfortunately will not have such workaround in the meanwhile because they are working for a real fix to the audio driver, one day maybe (?):
Albion
Fade to Black
Magic Carpet 2
System Shock (sshock)
Redguard
Archimedean Dynasty
GTA
X-COM Apocalypse
Gene-Wars
It's years official DOSBox is waiting for a swapstereo=true official option but probably will never see it.

Reply 837 of 1550, by rolloLG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Qbix wrote:

that is speculation on your part 😀

It's years I'm hoping to see such an official option since the various forks do have it but introduced also some other issues not present in the stock DosBox 0.74-3 (e.g. fullscren issues with DosBox-X or problems with some non-US keyboards). I'd really like to see a new DOSBox with a workaround for swapped stereo issue of some titles through a config option, even if I'm aware you're working on a real and more elegant fix in the meanwhile...

I have an old custom build of 0.74 with "mixer /swapstereo" option that was working great in batch files to launch those few buggy games, but again was not in the official branch.

Reply 838 of 1550, by Pr3tty F1y

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rolloLG wrote:

I looked at what you tried in that thread and it did not change anything for me. The DOSBox mapper itself (CTRL+F1) just doesn't pick up on the Y rotation axis of my gamepad. I can't map the axis to a button, hat, axis so I'm guessing I'm hitting either some sort of limitation with DOSBox or an issue with the implementation of SDL with my gamepad drivers.

Reply 839 of 1550, by rolloLG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hori Fighting Stick Mini is natively compatibile with PS3/PS4/PC (seen as a custom XBox 360 controller).
Correct me if I'm wrong but Sony DualShock3 is not supported by Windows at default and requires some hacks (you already use MotionInJoy for example).
I'm not surprised Sony's has issues with DOSBox too. I've read someone suggested to use Steam to launch DOSBox, hence using Steam controller features to remap this kind of console-only controller on PC (Steam itself relies on SDL.dll who's author works for Valve ATM).