VOGONS

DOSBox ECE (for Windows & Linux)

Topic actions

Reply 240 of 1550, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Games have full control over the sb mixer, but the fmstrength parameter is internal 'hardware' balance which games don't have access to.
So yes, fmstrength is the balance between pcm and fm when both of the are 100 in the sb mixer, this was adjusted to sound like the real hardware sb16 card.

I used very acurate method to find the balance between various sb card.
FM and PCM Volume Balance of SB Cards

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 241 of 1550, by Giuliano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

(...) but the fmstrength parameter is internal 'hardware' balance which games don't have access to.

That's why I haven't the foggiest idea as to why those two games sound exactly the same even when I configure DOSBox-ECE with fmstrength=1.

Reply 242 of 1550, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Impossible, the game probably uses CD audio, definitely not FM if it stays the same level.

EDIT:
Star Wars: Rebel Assault has nothing to do with FM synth, it's all low quality PCM audio.

Reply 246 of 1550, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
James-F wrote:

I think it's mainly SVN updates, but about ECE patches you can find in PATCHES.txt in the ECE archive.

Exactly.

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 248 of 1550, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That feature digs into pretty much every piece of DOSBox. You have to save all hardware state for it to work. Not a small request.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 249 of 1550, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nor desired by many. As gdjacobs notes it requires big changes that can introduce a lot of extra bugs. ECE is not for adding whiz bang features, but to add more accuracy, such as the pixel-perfect patch as well as a few highly desired enhancements like Munt.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 250 of 1550, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
collector wrote:

Nor desired by many. As gdjacobs notes it requires big changes that can introduce a lot of extra bugs. ECE is not for adding whiz bang features, but to add more accuracy, such as the pixel-perfect patch as well as a few highly desired enhancements like Munt.

Fair enough. Thanks for answering.

Reply 253 of 1550, by citrixscu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

Coming off of a clean install of Win10 and experiencing missing zlib1.dll error when launching R4059. Zlib1.dll is not on my machine, so it must be installed by some other app and then registered by the system. On a system that does have zlib1.dll installed (by iTunes), R4055 launches but R4059 yields the following:

r4059.png
Filename
r4059.png
File size
5.7 KiB
Views
File comment
r4059 error
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 254 of 1550, by Dagar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It works for me (Windows 10 - Version: 1703 OS Build: 15063.674)
However, something I noticed...

DOSBox ECE r4055
DOSBox.exe file size = 6103552

DOSBox ECE r4059
DOSBox.exe file size = 6038528

DOSBOXECE.jpg

Reply 255 of 1550, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Very noob question, the compiled Windows EXE complains about missing zlib1.dll at startup, what am I doing wrong?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 256 of 1550, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@YP80
I think one of the patches is causing it because the vanilla SVN r4059 is fine.
Maybe try applying the patches one by one and testing after each addition?

Reply 257 of 1550, by citrixscu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
James-F wrote:

@YP80
I think one of the patches is causing it because the vanilla SVN r4059 is fine.
Maybe try applying the patches one by one and testing after each addition?

Confirmed. Not sure why I didn't try this earlier.

Reply 258 of 1550, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry about that! Something in my MINGW environment seems to be messed up, those builds shouldn't even have been online. I'm looking into it, the zlib error should be gone, but currently Fluidsynth doesn't work any more! Please keep using r4055 for the time being!

UPDATE: It seems I managed to get everything working again, please redownload r4059 and try again. If you still encounter bugs or strange behaviour, please let me know!

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)