VOGONS

DOSBox ECE (for Windows & Linux)

Topic actions

Reply 640 of 1550, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

the 64 bit version will be slower, but is it such a heavy game you are trying then ?
Even my laptop in 64 bit mode on linux gives around Pentium 100 performance. (at least according to one speedtest, others might be different)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 641 of 1550, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
igermi wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

Hmm.. is this a render setting issue?

I dont' know (how would I check?)

Is it possible that I compiled a 64bit version instead of 32 so I am slow like it was slow before?

To know if the binary is 32 or 64bit, simply run "file <filename>"

$ file dosbox 
dosbox: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (GNU/Linux), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2, for GNU/Linux 3.2.0, BuildID[sha1]=4488e27b157862b059d5f2600fb85a1010600529, with debug_info, not stripped
$ strip dosbox
$ file dosbox
dosbox: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (GNU/Linux), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2, for GNU/Linux 3.2.0, BuildID[sha1]=4488e27b157862b059d5f2600fb85a1010600529, stripped

The above is a 64-bit build, which had not yet been stripped, meaning it still has all the debug symbols which cause the binary to be much larger (and slower). I then strip it, and run file against it again.

Reply 643 of 1550, by igermi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:

the 64 bit version will be slower, but is it such a heavy game you are trying then ?
Even my laptop in 64 bit mode on linux gives around Pentium 100 performance. (at least according to one speedtest, others might be different)

Thanks guys- I just checked with the "file" command in the terminal

The dosbox ECE I compiled yesterday IS a 64bit. The one that runs fast dosbox .74 (thanks to QBix's help about a month ago) is a 32bit.
makes sense now.

I need to figure out how to compile a 32bit version of dosbox ECE for my 64bit linux system. Debian has multi-arch so this is possible right?

Reply 644 of 1550, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Yep, although I tend to compile dosbox 32 bit in a 32 bit schroot and use the resulting package/binary in my multi-arch debian installation.
I forgot why I did do it like that though..

Reply 645 of 1550, by igermi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:

Yep, although I tend to compile dosbox 32 bit in a 32 bit schroot and use the resulting package/binary in my multi-arch debian installation.

I just got off of the phone with my friend who helped me compile the 64 bit one. I mentioned the idea of schroot and he gawked a little. He thinks it would be easier to install a "triple boot" and just run a 32 bit debian build.

I think it is taking things too far. I will just play in windows where I can get the frame rate to run at full speed. It sucks because I hate microsoft with a passion. Maybe some day there will be a repository I can find or a distribution with a newer SVN version I can run by simply installing via "sudo apt-get install".

One thing I noticed on both the linux and windows ECE versions that is different than the dosbox .74 that I don't like is that my game does not fill up the whole screen. Back in the 90s monitors were not "wide screen" so with the new dosbox ECE it does not stretch the image to fit the full width. Dosbox .74 does this automatically when I go full screen with ALT ENTER. I don't mind that it distorts the image a little bit by stretching it wider than it should be.

Reply 646 of 1550, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

triple boot easier ?
Mmm setting up schroot is a lot faster.
But yes, waiting for a newer package is a lot simpler.

Reply 647 of 1550, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It isn't that difficult to compile a 32bit ver of DOSBox on a 64bit distro.

Attached is a WIP of compiling DOSBox on Windows 10 WSL with Ubuntu 18.03 and Ubuntu 18.04 in a VM that contains instructions for compiling 32bit and 64bit binaries for Windows and Linux. The guide is lengthy since it covers 32bit, 64bit, Linux, Windows and <Windows 98 compatibility so if you only care about Linux 32bit then look for those sections in the guide. I haven't uploaded yet it since it's not done. I am in the process of moving and about to go on a trip for a month so won't be available to answer any questions but it's pretty self explanatory.

Attachments

• Filename
    WSL.txt
    File size
    19.22 KiB
    Downloads
    128 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 648 of 1550, by igermi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

It isn't that difficult to compile a 32bit ver of DOSBox on a 64bit distro.
...... with Ubuntu 18.03 and Ubuntu 18.04 .......

Will this be different in Debian 8? I know Ubuntu was born from Debian so I figure they should be very similar...?

edit: I figured out why my brake/gas pedals were only working on 1 axis. Windows recognizes one of them as an X on the 2nd joystick, and the other as Y. This threw me through a loop. I now have them working independently.

Still need to figure out how to SSTTREEETTCCH the screen wider so it takes up the full width though.

Reply 649 of 1550, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
igermi wrote:

Still need to figure out how to SSTTREEETTCCH the screen wider so it takes up the full width though.

Just set the fullscreen resolution to your desktop resolution and turn aspect correction off by setting

fullresolution = desktop
aspect = false

https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Dosbox.conf#aspec … _true_.7C_false

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 650 of 1550, by igermi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I will try the screen-stretch trick tonight.

One thing I notice (on windows with ECE) it almost seems like the volume in the game changes a little from time to time, without me adjusting it. I don't see a setting enabled (by default) that would do this. Has anyone else noticed this?

Reply 651 of 1550, by igermi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Yesterplay80 wrote:
Just set the fullscreen resolution to your desktop resolution and turn aspect correction off by setting […]
Show full quote
igermi wrote:

Just set the fullscreen resolution to your desktop resolution and turn aspect correction off by setting

fullresolution = desktop
aspect = false

https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Dosbox.conf#aspec … _true_.7C_false

this isn't working.

Reply 654 of 1550, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jaygame1 wrote:

The Dosbox.exe in ECE r4219 gets removed by Norton, as a security threat. Only the ECE one.

The only threat you have on your PC is Norton. 😉

Over 70 other antivirus tools detect nothing, so it's pretty much safe to say that Norton reports a false positive here:
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/28caa15e0 … 545a6/detection

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 655 of 1550, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Yesterplay80 wrote:

Norton IS malware.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 656 of 1550, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
collector wrote:
Yesterplay80 wrote:

Norton IS malware.

Definitely. From bluescreens to blocked internet connections, I had to deal with this pos software so often...

Reply 657 of 1550, by ZakMcKracken

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi , I just recently build dosbox ECE on linux and have a strange problem:
Pressing any button for a longer amount of time releases it after some time by it self, e.g. in doing combat turns in any flight simulation while pressing arrow down to pull "up" , the key gets released after some time , also something like continuously using after burner by pressing TAB in any wing old commander game gets released by its own, this is not an keyboard issue as it supports at least 6 sim. pressed keys and other dosbox builds have no problem with these kinds of prolonged inputs.

The bundled dosbox ECE static build runner in lutris also is affected on my system (not sure where it is pulled from), other local dosbox builds (SDL1 and SDL2 ones) of various flavors did not show any of these signs on my system (original svn source, dosbox-sdl2).
This happens on my 64bit desktop and on my arm 32bit raspberry pi, both running arch linux.

This is the only thing keeping me back using your pixel perfect build 😢

Reply 658 of 1550, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

maybe check this topic:
Dosbox dropping pressed keys?

So far we haven't seen a real cause. DOSBox seems to be getting the release events from SDL, but the test program didn't have the problem.

Reply 659 of 1550, by junglemontana

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
igermi wrote:
Thanks guys- I just checked with the "file" command in the terminal […]
Show full quote
Qbix wrote:

Thanks guys- I just checked with the "file" command in the terminal

The dosbox ECE I compiled yesterday IS a 64bit. The one that runs fast dosbox .74 (thanks to QBix's help about a month ago) is a 32bit.
makes sense now.

I need to figure out how to compile a 32bit version of dosbox ECE for my 64bit linux system. Debian has multi-arch so this is possible right?

Qbix wrote:

I ran into annoyances when trying to compile a 32-bit Dosbox on Debian and Arch. It was discussed here:

maximizing dosbox performance in 2019, getting full fps

Debian does implement multiarch but there are still packages that are not multiarch-compatible. And because of their slow update cycle on the Stable branch, such packages can remain incompatible for years. You can use a 32-bit VM or equivalent solution, or install the offending libraries from other sources.

Arch repositories lack some 32-bit SDL-related libraries so they must be installed from other sources.