VOGONS

First post, by gonium

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I am trying to execute a old program. It works under MS-DOS 4.01, but the problem is related with VGA emulation. Apparently, the program was designed only to run under 2 specific VGA cards, a Oak Technology (OTI) model and a ET4000. The ET4000 model is emulated under Dosbox 0.74, so i modified the dosbox-0.74.conf specifying the machine=svga_et4000 parameter. However, it doesnt work and i get the following error message:

https://ibb.co/eWb46F

It seems that, even if the same graphic card is emulated, the program is looking for an specific graphic BIOS signature in order to work. Without that, the video driver is not loaded and the program always launch an error message saying that "Graphic driver is not installed. Error initializing VGA!".

This is the (very simple) autoexec.bat file from that program:

cls
echo off
keyb gr,,c:\keyboard.sys
@C:\ML\KONF\getcard
@if errorlevel 30 goto OTI
@if errorlevel 20 goto ET4000
@echo Keine gltige Grafikarte gefunden
@goto weiter
:OTI
C:\ML\KONF\otivga
@goto weiter
:ET4000
C:\ML\KONF\et4005
:WEITER
prompt $p$g
c:
cd\ml
ml4600

The problem is perfectly reproducible. I have uploaded the 3 relevant files here:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/igdu8h

getcard.exe seems to be a detection tool for correct display driver to be installed. The other two files (otivga.exe and et4005.exe) are the specific drivers to be loaded (if specific bios signature is found).

Any idea how i could successfully ejecute that program?.

Thanks,

Reply 1 of 1, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

DOSBox is intended to run DOS games, and what you're trying to do is not officially supported. That said, you may be able to get the driver to work with some fiddling.

Loading a Tseng ET4000 video BIOS in DOSBox makes GETCARD.EXE happy, but ET4005.EXE wants a more specific version. If you have an image of the specific ET4000 BIOS the driver wants then you can try loading it in DOSBox. Alternatively, you can bypass the signature test in the driver: at offset 6B6h, modify bytes 7F 03 to EB 75. However, there is no guarantee the driver will work correctly in DOSBox just because it loads without complaint.