VOGONS

First post, by scottmathews

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all,

I'm totally new here (look, one post!), and only just started playing with DOSBox again about a week ago (I've used it to play Warcraft a lot in the past... that's about it). I'm having a hard time navigating the forums and the internet in general when it comes to resources that will help me get a grasp on building DOSBox from source on Windows. Lots of other topics, but I still can't find anything that would help me get it running. I figured I would give it a shot with VS2017 since that is what I mostly work in for my other projects.

I've yet to successfully build DOSBox, I have been using the source from SVN r4007. I'm getting a lot of LINKer errors, and feel like I'm going down the wrong rabbit hole with regards to getting them working one by one. I think I'm going wrong somewhere else, but I'm not sure where to look!

I don't need a full breakdown of how to do it (though I'm not saying no to that!), I mostly am just looking for a push in the right direction.

Any help, links to tutorials, warnings, or advice is greatly welcome. I'd love to do some experimenting with it.

Thanks!

scott mathews
scott@scottmathews.me

i'm turning dosbox into a custom game engine for fun.

Reply 2 of 6, by scottmathews

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'll run through that. 😀 Appreciate the link. I'm not sure how I failed to find that, I was digging around in the wiki earlier! Work has been melting my brain this week.

scott mathews
scott@scottmathews.me

Reply 3 of 6, by gandhig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are you going to download the binaries of the dependencies or compile it yourself? General advice was to compile it as the binaries may have some incompatibilities as per online help. Following are the dependencies that were compiled:
a) SDL (1.2.15)
b) libpng (1.6.29) & its dependency zlib( 1.2.8 )
c) SDL_net (1.2.7 only as the latest version 1.2.8 had some issues in compiling)
Probably you may not need it, but there was also a Youtube video "How to Compile DOSBox on Windows With Visual Studio 2015". Only the dependency versions need to be changed as per the above.
However, as per Dominus, MinGW might be a better environment for building DOSBox.

Dosbox SVN r4019 + savestates Build (Alpha)
1st thread & the only one related to the forum(?)...warning about modern-retro combo
Dead, but, Personal Favourite
Replacement for Candy Crush...Train the Brain

Reply 4 of 6, by scottmathews

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I poked around and grabbed some of the binaries, but I'm learning towards compiling them myself. I'm not in a rush so I don't mind spending a few nights getting things going. 😀

I'll take a look at that video and see how much of a help it can be. I always forget that you can find this stuff on youtube now.

Are there any specifics as to why MinGW would be a better environment? I'm just curious as I'm fairly new to all this, and I'll take anything I can get with regards to learning more!

scott mathews
scott@scottmathews.me

Reply 5 of 6, by gandhig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
scottmathews wrote:

Are there any specifics as to why MinGW would be a better environment? I'm just curious as I'm fairly new to all this, and I'll take anything I can get with regards to learning more!

Similar case to mine. It seems that the Visual project files are not getting updated as much as in comparison to the Autotools one.

Dosbox SVN r4019 + savestates Build (Alpha)
1st thread & the only one related to the forum(?)...warning about modern-retro combo
Dead, but, Personal Favourite
Replacement for Candy Crush...Train the Brain

Reply 6 of 6, by scottmathews

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That should help me quite a bit. I'll probably stick to Visual Studio since that's what I know, and it looks like you've got things pretty far along.

scott mathews
scott@scottmathews.me