VOGONS

First post, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A locked thread about this workaround may be found here, with most of the relevant information in the first post:

Printing & clipboard-exchange - kludgy workaround for DOSBox under Windows

Thanks to changes in DropBox, this new download address should be used instead of the one in the first post (the address won't work after DropBox shuts down its Public folder feature):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h8e7qskkqr0wtke/DOS … rinter.zip?dl=1

Also, one added detail:

When setting this method up, if you're using it with a dosbox.conf that loads a program and then exits DOSBox, the necessary drive assignment (added by DOSBoxPrinter.exe) won't have any effect. If that happens, add this line to your DOSBox.conf, somewhere in autoexec.bat, but before your program launches:

mount P Printout

No need to add a full path; no need for colons or backslashes, just what you see there.

I hope this method is still useful. The original thread got blocked because it drifted off into irrelevant questions that had already been answered in other threads, and the person who asked the irrelevant questions simply wouldn't stop asking them.

Last edited by emendelson on 2017-04-27, 16:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 6, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've now enhanced this (in an updated download) to work more smoothly with Windows 3.1. Here's what you need to do:

1. As shown in the previous post, add the "mount P Printout" line to your DOSBox.conf if you use the conf file to launch Windows in DOSBox.

2. In your Windows 3.11 setup, edit win.ini so that the [ports] section includes this line:

P:\OUTPUT.PRN=

3. Use DOSBoxPrinter.exe to start DOSBox.

4. In DOSBox, start Windows 3.1, use the Control Panel to select a printer; choose any LaserJet or PostScript printer, and use the "Connect" button to set the output to "P:\OUTPUT.PRN".

5. Print something from a Windows 3.1 program. If in fact you chose a LaserJet or PostScript printer driver in the Windows 3.11 Control Panel, the output will be printed to your default Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10 printer, whatever kind of printer it might be.

Reply 2 of 6, by sadeq

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
emendelson wrote:
I've now enhanced this (in an updated download) to work more smoothly with Windows 3.1. Here's what you need to do: […]
Show full quote

I've now enhanced this (in an updated download) to work more smoothly with Windows 3.1. Here's what you need to do:

1. As shown in the previous post, add the "mount P Printout" line to your DOSBox.conf if you use the conf file to launch Windows in DOSBox.

2. In your Windows 3.11 setup, edit win.ini so that the [ports] section includes this line:

P:\OUTPUT.PRN=

3. Use DOSBoxPrinter.exe to start DOSBox.

4. In DOSBox, start Windows 3.1, use the Control Panel to select a printer; choose any LaserJet or PostScript printer, and use the "Connect" button to set the output to "P:\OUTPUT.PRN".

5. Print something from a Windows 3.1 program. If in fact you chose a LaserJet or PostScript printer driver in the Windows 3.11 Control Panel, the output will be printed to your default Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10 printer, whatever kind of printer it might be.

hi thanks for every thing
but i can not print my document in dosdox by using dosboxprinter
can u explain more about line 4

Reply 3 of 6, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Open the windows 3.1 Control Panel.

Double-click Printers.

Click Add>>

From the List of Printers, choose Apple LaserWriter II NTX

Click Install.

Click Connect

Under Ports, select P:\OUTPUT.PRN

Click OK

Click Set as Default Printer.

Click Close.

Reply 5 of 6, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you asking about a Windows 3.1 application or something else? No one can help without knowing what you are asking about. If it's a Windows 3.1 application, then the answer above tells you how to print from it. If it's not a Windows 3.1 application but a DOS application, use vDos:

www.vdos.info

Reply 6 of 6, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That locked thread (linked in the first post) included a dead link to a something I put together called DOSBoxSnipper - a kludge that lets you copy from the DOSBox text screen to the Windows clipboard. the post is here:

Printing & clipboard-exchange - kludgy workaround for DOSBox under Windows

And the download is here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a8btkmxb55bfqtx/DOS … nipper.zip?dl=1