VOGONS

First post, by Thraka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How can the sound emulation be improved? I almost have to everytime frameskip to 2, to get the sound to not chop.

Any ideas of how we can improve it?

Reply 3 of 6, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

The best solution is to buy a better computer ...

Before that you can try dynamic core, different output method, use 16 bit color desktop, run in fullscreen etc. I have also experience that MPU 401 for music (instead of SoundBlaster) allows me more cycles without stuttering music. Experiment. Search the forum.

Mirek

Reply 4 of 6, by Thraka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I donno, I just cant see the buy a better computer as a reasonable solution. There has to be something that can be programmed into it to help it out 😀 some sort of enhancement or code cleanup. My mind just refuces to believe that a 2ghz computer with 512 megs of ram and a big graphics card cant emulate dos. 😀

It's just my enthusuasim for dosbox to become fully usable in any scenario running at full speed 😀

What area is the dev people focusing on in particular?

Reply 5 of 6, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another possibility is reducing the sound sample rate. If you're running sound sound at 44100Hz, you might try to reduce that to 22050Hz instead, and make sure all sound sources run at the same rate as the mixer. Many games don't have 44.1kHz samples anyways, so you don't lose much.