VOGONS

First post, by zapper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

when I try to load dosbox in debian stretch, it crashes instantly for some reason. I am trying to load jazz jackrabbit and that's about it.

the version of 0.74-4.2+b2:

Is there a fix for this dosbox version?

this is a little error that I ran into...

MIXER:Got different values from SDL: freq 44100, blocksize 512
ALSA:Can't subscribe to MIDI port (65:0) nor (17:0)
MIDI:Opened device:none

any help would be lovely.

Reply 1 of 4, by gandhig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
zapper wrote:
this is a little error that I ran into... […]
Show full quote

this is a little error that I ran into...

MIXER:Got different values from SDL: freq 44100, blocksize 512
ALSA:Can't subscribe to MIDI port (65:0) nor (17:0)
MIDI:Opened device:none

The above messages should normally leave you with 'no sound', but not crash DOSBox. Does the crash occur only with Jazz Jackrabbit or even before the proper startup of DOSBox itself? In case of the latter, the crash maybe on account of issues/incompatibilities between dosbox & its dependencies in the debian stretch(testing) repository rather than with dosbox itself. It will be difficult to identify the issue without more details about the crash and further debugging by (interested)developers.

Dosbox SVN r4019 + savestates Build (Alpha)
1st thread & the only one related to the forum(?)...warning about modern-retro combo
Dead, but, Personal Favourite
Replacement for Candy Crush...Train the Brain

Reply 2 of 4, by nrg753

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found this post from a Google search as I am running Debian stretch and was also trying to load up Jazz Jackrabbit. I was getting "DRC64:Unhandled memory reference" and I saw that message by running DOSBox from the terminal.

I fixed it by running:

gedit ~/.dosbox/dosbox-0.74.conf

...then changing core=auto to core=normal.

Reply 3 of 4, by Serious Callers Only

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's a workaround, not a fix. My guess is one of the 'security measures' enabled by default on the distro is interacting badly with dynamic core. I'm not a security aware guy so i'm unaware of specifics.

Reply 4 of 4, by Roger Wilco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found this bugreport on debian.org, there is a method explained, how to downgrade to the old version.
With core=normal, Dosbox can get a little sloooooow, at times.

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=857341
Not a real fix either, but nothing else to do, until the package gets updated, I guess!

cheers