VOGONS

First post, by DragonsLover

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everybody! 😀

I have a problem using Dosbox 0.61. Sometimes it works, but the other times, a window appeared and tell me that an error occur with the file Kernel32.dll in a white window. When I want to start it again, it tells me that there's not enough memory to open it. And everything that I try to open tells me the same thing. Also, I can't restart my computer, I must do it manually! Can someone help me to resolve this? 😢

Reply 2 of 17, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I am sure plenty of people wants to help you, but they just don't know how.

Now, if you started to tell us what hardware you have, what software you use, what versions, what you have already checked, etc, then perhaps someone will be able to suggest something.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 17, by Ros

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, here i go:
- HIS - P5MPV3-B2 motherboard
- AMK K6 400 mHz
- 64 MB SDRAM
- Intel 740 8 MB RAM
- Aztech ADS7181 sound system
- Win98SE Polish ver
- Ufo: Enemy Unknown ver 1.0
- Problem is when i try to run DosBox it freezes completely just after the start. I tried to change config, even unistalled and reinstalled it again but it does nothing. Just freezes every time when i try to run it.
- Yesterday everything was fine and today see abowe. Maybe tomorrow everything will be ok. 😕
- Sound mode - Soundblaster
- Video mode - Direct 3D
- DosBox 0.61
- I reinstalled it but it still freezes.

I hope that someone can solve this mystery.
Ros

Reply 4 of 17, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well does it only happen with dosbox or also if you use other cpu intensive programs ? If it happends only at startup that would indicate a video driver/card problem.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 17, by Ros

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Mysteriously DosBox is running again. 😕 Earlier it freezed no matter i was running only DosBox or with other programs.
Now when i write that post i have opened 2 windows with IE and all programs running usually in the background.

Reply 6 of 17, by CMC_DarkPhear

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, I'm having a similar problem lately. DOSBox is always causing my Win98 SE to blue screen... The strange thing is it used to work. I can't remember doing any updates in my system, that could cause this... Annoying!

Reply 7 of 17, by DragonsLover

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm back!

For me:
- Pentium III 600 mHz
- 256 MB RAM
- Win98SE
- Sound Blaster Live Value!
- NVidia - GeForce

As I can see, the problem occurs only on Windows 98SE. And what about Kernel32.dll, what's that file?

The problem still occur sometimes and that's annoying! I must always restart my computer!

Maybe you'll tell me: "Use Dosbox 0.63". But the game I'm currently playing works best on Dosbox 0.61!

Please help me! 😢

Reply 8 of 17, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

> Maybe you'll tell me: "Use Dosbox 0.63". But the game I'm currently playing works best on Dosbox 0.61!

So what? Right now, I have 6 different DOSBox'es installed:

H:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.60
H:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.61
H:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.62
H:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.63
H:\Program Files\DOSBox-debug-0.63
H:\Program Files\DOSBox-CVS

so I can try different versions with different games.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 9 of 17, by DragonsLover

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Like me:

Dosbox 0.58
Dosbox 0.60
Dosbox 0.61
Dosbox 0.62
Dosbox 0.63

Dosbox 0.63 Debug? Dosbox CVS? What's these versions?

Anyway, do you know what could I do to resolve this?

Reply 10 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

debug is the debug built of course 😀 (not needed for mortals)
CVS means that in that dir is either the current source code from CVS or a built based on current CVS.
I always try to run current CVS (with the multiple joystick profiles patch) but only if I'm not to clumsy to build it again...

Reply 12 of 17, by DragonsLover

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't get a blue screen. Sometimes it works, sometimes I get a white window with an error about the file Kernel32.dll. Then, right after, I can't open anything because it tells me that I don't have enough memory. I must restart my computer manually.

Reply 14 of 17, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bleh, Win98SE. Try killing everything but Explorer and Systray. If that makes it work, then some other program you had running was eating all your RAM.

Reply 15 of 17, by DragonsLover

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried using it on Windows XP and it works fine.

So, as I can see, Dosbox 0.61 doesn't work well on Win98SE. That's stupid! This is the only one that doesn't work on Win 98SE! Why THIS one?

It is possible to get a patch for this?

Reply 16 of 17, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, it's called Windows NT4/2K/XP/2003/Linux/OSX/OS/2.....anything but 9x. heh.

It might be a good idea to tell us what game your trying to play so that it can be made to work well with DosBox 0.63+.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline