VOGONS

First post, by ThumpieBunnyEve

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm interested in the scaler 6x fad going around for those of us with 4k monitors.

Are there any Dosbox builds with the render-scale'r Waifu2x included? Or other scalers like xBRZ(based on xBRv3.5) xBR(now beyond v3.8) Or NNEDI# ?

Can any of these be implemented from the config file? I'm aware some are resource intensive, but I have a pretty good rig, and I'd like to see if it can handle it.

GPU: Nvidia-Geforce GTX 1080 Seahawk
GPU-RAM: 11GB DDR5
CPU: i7 990x 6cores @3.7ghz,
SYS-RAM: 48gb DDR3 system-ram.
RAM-Disk: 16gb DDR3 "Z:" For all my emulation, (like PCSX2, 4DO, Dolphin, MAME, DosBox)
Monitor: DELL S2716DG 2560x1440 144hz refresh (G-sync included but disabled)

(Irrelevant note: Im not actually 4k'ompliant as you can see, but those types of monitors are on the rise, and when i can get one at 144hz, with a fast gray-to-gray cycle, i will, to support my dorky "nvidia 3d vision" shutter glasses.)

Also I hear that my GPU's (hard/soft)ware might already have some of these scalers but I've no clue how to enable them or call upon them from dosbox..?

I'm interested in seeing what the Waifu2x scale'r can do for emulation in turn-based games or small-change games like final-fantasy. But 5xBR-v3.8c i hear is real-time fast, and more updated then xBRZ, so perhaps it might be good for shmups like R-Type LEO. I rather like the smooth cartoony edging on some scalers, especially when they stay closer to the original color pallet. ( Paper Mario & Yoshi's island style is great! )

If Waifu2x is too ambitious, Can some one point out the right direction of any of Dosbox versions with the following scalers included?:

[
5xBR-v3.8c (or larger) |
xBRZ (which is a branch of the older v3.5) |
NNEDI3 |
advmame6x |
advinterp6x |
6xsai |
super6xsai |
supereagle @x6 |
hq6x |
Waifu6x (just Waifu2x reapplied to its own output a few times?)
]

and for true to original pixels, with no edge-smoothing filters during upscale:
[
normal6x |
pixel-perfect( http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=49160#p515497 )
]

I don't have the ability to compile these into the dosbox tree. It seems that others may have done so here and there with one or 2 items mentioned above. I'm looking for any compiled builds that might have some or most of these options.

♀TBE

Reply 1 of 5, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

xBRZ is still CPU dependent, I believe, so it's probably not usable for 4k.

XBRx5 will get 320x200 titles up to 1600 x 1200, but that's far less than the 2160 rows for 4k and even x6 falls well short. Doubling that is scaled too big 9x is needed ideally scale things, so perhaps something allowing a 3x scale of 3x XBR; but unclear of a DOSBox release allowing for such.

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 2 of 5, by ThumpieBunnyEve

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not really the answer i was hoping for with my indepth OP.
you didn't even sniff about for links or anything.. just your 2 cents on the topic. Thank you though.

This request is still Open.
Some one please point out some links to dosbox builds that have more scalers at higher multiples,
please please please...?

♀TBE

Reply 3 of 5, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ThumpieBunnyEve wrote:

Waifu2x included?

Neural networks are NOT EVER FEASIBLE FOR A REALTIME SCALER EVER. It's also terrible for all pixel art and is only effective on well-antialiased true-color illustrations of 500px+

if you really want exotic scalers i'd suggest trying the dosbox core in retroarch at this point. You'll lose some input and cycles autosetting but there's a whole new world of multi-pass pixel shaders no other version/fork of Dosbox can ever hope to touch.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 5, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ThumpieBunnyEve wrote:
and for true to original pixels, with no edge-smoothing filters during upscale: [ normal6x | pixel-perfect( VIDEO Patch for pix […]
Show full quote

and for true to original pixels, with no edge-smoothing filters during upscale:
[
normal6x |
pixel-perfect( VIDEO Patch for pixel-perfect scaling (SDL1) )
]

DOSBox ECE has both those features. See my signature for the link.

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 5 of 5, by ThumpieBunnyEve

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Yesterplay80, Thank you! Squee! yay linkies finally! thank you!
ok so theres at least one that handles exact aspect ratio scaling, (normal6x),
and ratio conversion scaling with as much original pixel/crt-dot precision as possible. (pixel-perfect)

Yesterplay80's full-featured DOSBox SVN builds (without debugger) for Windows and Linux:
Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Enhanced Community Edition) http://blog.yesterplay80.net/?page_id=515

I'll start testing with it tomorrow thank you! *^-^* this is a good start!

------------

@leileilol
I've heard of retroarch before, i downloaded it onto my nexus7 android phone, to try and play some old coleco rom... i forgot which one... time pilot maybe. But I've not started using it yet. I didn't know it was for PC as well. So there is a dosbox core in retroarch, and its main focus is pixel shaders? Those aren't the same as pixel scalers from what I've read. But I'll look into the pc version and dosbox core. im not trying to turn Pacman into a light-&-shadow gradient sphere. just make a smooth edged circle around him when scaled up x6. But I'll look into it and post links back here when i find the direct ones to the retroarch dosbox core. ty.

♀TBE