VOGONS

First post, by Nematocyst

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I built dosbox SVN 3858 and added the ne2000 patch [unrelated: also voodoo patch], and have a working Wfw 3.11 installation.

The network appears to work fine. It gets an address from the DHCP server, and I can ping fine locally and the internet at large. But if I am dealing with a large bit of data (large being something over say, 25k), the speed slows to a crawl, quickly going to 0. This manifests as a failure to load images on webpages, or to copy files from a network share.

I don't know how to diagnose, and thus correct this issue. The network basically works fine, but peters out fairly quickly. I built with libpcap-dev 0.8, which was all that my distro had on offer. But I don't even know if that's the issue.

Reply 1 of 1, by Nematocyst

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

still having the issue, but I have more info about what isn't the cause:

libpcap is not likely the cause. I discovered my distro uses 1.8.1, but calls it 0.8 for whatever reason. I also built it from source to test the latest version. In addition, I tried a couple patches from the libpcap bug reports that seemed possibly relevant, I avoid the use of TPACKET_V3 by trying two solutions: #undef TPACKET3_HDRLEN in pcap-linux.c. Also tried in dosbox src: hardware/ne2000.c using pcap_set_immediate_mode(adhandle,1); just after a successful pcap_open_live() call.

Testing reveals that it is only recieving that is the issue. I can copy a 2M file to the server just fine. but from the network, anything over about 30k fails.