VOGONS

First post, by Bambo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there!
There are several DOS shooters which would benefit from a "crosshair", even if it's only for psychological reasons for the modern player.
One way to achieve this would be an overlay, but there's no way to run DOSBox in borderless fullscreen mode.

I thought the easiest way to achieve this is using an .fx HLSL shader, which can be used by some DOSBox builds.
Maybe I'm overestimating the effort, but creating a very simple shader that renders a colored pixel in the middle of the screen should be trivially easy for someone who knows a bit about shaders, right?

Anyone here that likes to volunteer or push me in the right direction?

Reply 1 of 2, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bambo wrote:

Maybe I'm overestimating the effort, but creating a very simple shader that renders a colored pixel in the middle of the screen should be trivially easy for someone who knows a bit about shaders, right?

I think so. It would be easy in GLSL (ie OpenGL shaders) but I have no knowledge of HLSL unfortunately.

Reply 2 of 2, by Bambo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

From what I think to understand by reading through the code of other .fx effects is that you need a vertex part and a fragment part with the vertex part determining the location(s) and the fragment part what should be done with the color of said location(s) (in this case: make it red, white or yellow).

That said: I don't even know where to begin. My hope was finding an example that can be repurposed, but of course those sharers all try to accomplish something very different and more complicated and I don't really understand those to begin with (the little programming know-how I have is mostly Python)