VOGONS

First post, by ignatius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I cross compiled Dosbox (version 0.74) on my Debian box, using the arm cross compiler.
When trying to execute Dosbox on my Zipit, I get this error:

Exit to error: Could not initialize video: No video mode large enough for 640x400

And, yes, I did follow Mozzwalds tutorial on installing Dosbox on the Zipit Z2. I changed all occurances of "640,480" to "320,240" in the source.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thank you much.

Also: I did compile and install libSDL with "directFB" and "fbcon" support.

Reply 1 of 3, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

the text mode screen is 640x400 (the one you startup in)

maybe select a different text mode to startup in.. not sure what the others have for resolution though)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 3, by ignatius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok. Gotcha. What do I change now? I tried changing "640,400" to "320,240", but it still isn't starting.

The Zipit's "native resolution" is 320,240... And, I do have that mode correctly defined in /etc/fb.modes

Reply 3 of 3, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

tricky. if you don't want to do downscaling, then you have to go for a 200 lines text mode. (ModeList_VGA_Text_200lines)
You need to do some small changes to do the dosbox routines that setup the initial video mode.

Take a look at SetTextLines which gets called from INT10_SetVideoMode which gets called from INT10_Init
Maybe set the value returned from real_readb(BIOSMEM_SEG,BIOSMEM_MODESET_CTL) to have 0x90 present or hack that code in SetTextLines
(and set a mode that has the dimensions that you want instead of the one that has 640x400 dimensions)
(and set scaler=none in options)

So maybe try:

real_writeb(BIOSMEM_SEG,BIOSMEM_MODESET_CTL,(real_readb(BIOSMEM_SEG,BIOSMEM_MODESET_CTL)&0x80));
INT10_SetVideoMode(0x1);

instead of 0x3 call that is currently in the init function

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!